Airbag Light Stays On

Hey Everyone,

I searched the forum but didn't find the exact answer I was looking for so I thought I should start from scratch.

Recently my airbag light came on (and now stays on) additionally the horn wont honk. I thought it was a fuse for the horn but when I replaced it still no luck. Anyway I took it to my mechanic and he said the "squib" needs to be replaced. I searched the internet for this part but I'm thinking maybe that is a non-techncal term for it.

He also said the reason why the horn wont honk anymore is because of the squib. Anybody ever heard of this? If so where can I find one? Thanks in advance :D

Oh it is a 2000 Lexus GS!

It is not called a squib as that is what causes the airbag to go off or ignite it. Squibs are part of pyro technics or any explosive device as a trigger.

What he meant to tell you is it is the clock spring . It is a self contained unit with a flat coil of wire like a ribbon. As you turn the wheel it gets tight and the other way it gets loose. When it snaps any controls on the wheel go dead. Horn air bag and cruise control. It is located behind the wheel once it is off.

i have a similar problem.

My airbag light stay on as well, but i have my cruise control and horn still operational.

I read a post on this site saying it might be the airbag module, but does anyone happen to know if it could be anything else? from a blown fuse to a missing airbag?

just got the car, 95 GS300

thanks

• 2 weeks later...