Ls400 Rear Struts

Paris Q

I have a 1990 LS400 with, I assume, bad rear struts. For the last four months or so the car has had a tendency to "deflate" and settle almost down into the rear wells. When I place the air ride control in the cabin from "Normal" to "HI", it raised the rear. I've had to keep it in the high position permanently until it now no longer works in high. Assuming my struts are shot, what are my options? A former Lexus service guy told me I was looking at about $800 each. Yikes! Am I stuck with Lexus parts? Do I have to replace the fronts, as well? Is it safe to drive it any distance with it riding as low as it is? I live in central Mass. in the country and am over 20 miles from a dealer. Thanks.

I have a 1990 LS400 with, I assume, bad rear struts. For the last four months or so the car has had a tendency to "deflate" and settle almost down into the rear wells. When I place the air ride control in the cabin from "Normal" to "HI", it raised the rear. I've had to keep it in the high position permanently until it now no longer works in high. Assuming my struts are shot, what are my options? A former Lexus service guy told me I was looking at about $800 each. Yikes! Am I stuck with Lexus parts? Do I have to replace the fronts, as well? Is it safe to drive it any distance with it riding as low as it is? I live in central Mass. in the country and am over 20 miles from a dealer. Thanks.

Forgive me for my ignorance, but what "lines" are you referring to? Are you saying it's possible to repair the leak as opposed to buying all new struts? Or is it not the struts that are the problem. That would be great. I'm not mechanically able to crawl under the car. Is this something a local mechanic can look for?

Well if both sides go down equally it is going to be a line or valves. If it was a bad shock only one side would go down.

Find the leak then go from there.

Understand. Is this model/year prone to having a leaky line or valve and is there a particular location likely?