Upgrading Sound

So I'm interested in getting a sub for my speaker system, if I wanted to also power all my speakers through my amp what channel amp would I need? Has anybody done this and did it make an substantial difference?

I added an alpine 10" sub in a sealed box and an alpine amp (MRP-M450). It makes a huge difference in the bass. The stock system doesn't have much low bass response. I have the gain turned to the minimum on my amp, and it adds plenty of bass. This was simple enough that I did the wiring myself. I posted a description of what I had to do. I think I spent about $400 on the components, wood for the enclosure and the wiring kit.

Running all the speakers through another amp seems like a much more involved project. You can look at the amp in the right side of the trunk to figure out how many channels you need. There is one connector with 4 wires that contains power and ground, one connector with a bunch of fine wires that contain various signals like audio/ASL/turn on signal, etc, and then two connectors with about 10 wires each that run to all the speakers. Each pair on these two connectors goes to a speaker. You can count to figure out how many channels, but I think it's 10 pairs.

I'd try adding the sub first and see if you're satisfied with that before tearing apart the whole system. Even if you end up doing that in the end, you'll still need the sub.