Nakamichi Crisis!

I recently ran into a problem with my Nakamichi Sound System. When I took my Lexus through a brushless car wash the other day, the stereo shut off completely. I tried turning it back on after the wash, with no success. When I checked the fusebox today the 20 amphere fuse for the Stereo/CD Player was broken. When I replaced the fuse, I discovered that an electrical current was going through the fusebox! :cries: It blew the replacement fuse instantly, which means there must be a short in the car's electrical system somewhere.

Can anyone here give me specific spots where the SC400 could be prone to taking in water? The stereo ceased when the car sprayers were by the antenna, so I think the short might just be in the amplifier...I don't know. I've read on here that people run into issues when driving in the rain, so maybe my situation is similar.

Any DIY advice on getting this fixed is greatly appreciated. The system worked great prior to this!

I tried to find the prior thread for you. Unfortunately, the search function on this site baffles me at times. In any event someone had trouble with water soaking the amp located in the rear right of the trunk if my memory serves me.

This from Club Lexus is moderately helpful. ClickHere

Hth.

That was a big help, actually! Thanks.

Turns out there's a little hole under my '94 SC400's gas cap. I would guess it's there to prevent you from overfilling the tank - in any case, the hose behind that hole was not connected, and the car wash pressure water got into it got all over the equipment in there. This would confirm why it happened halfway through the wash - the water had gotten inside that hole. It also appears that hose hasn't been connected in a while because the area has quite a bit of rust in it...perhaps it's been this way for a while? It may explain why some of us have a problem using our stereos in the rain.

Anyway, I removed all the water from the area last night and took both the Nakamichi amp and the CD Player out. Replaced the fuse, and found my Stereo was turning on and off again.

UNFORTUNATELY...when I plugged the Nak Amp back in, the fuse blew instantly. Looks like the water damaged the amp. I can power the stereo now, but the radio does not play anything without that amp. My question now is this - can anyone here provide me with insight on opening the amp? There might just be some still water in it, and I might be able to salvage it...

I'm also considering a worst case scenario. If I need to buy one, what're my options? My Model # is 86280-24120 / B324ULOA. It had a functioning CD Player attached to it. From what I've read, looks like that's my option too.

Everyone's help is appreciated!

I tried to find the prior thread for you. Unfortunately, the search function on this site baffles me at times. In any event someone had trouble with water soaking the amp located in the rear right of the trunk if my memory serves me.

This from Club Lexus is moderately helpful. ClickHere

Hth.

That was a big help, actually! Thanks.

Turns out there's a little hole under my '94 SC400's gas cap. I would guess it's there to prevent you from overfilling the tank - in any case, the hose behind that hole was not connected, and the car wash pressure water got into it got all over the equipment in there. This would confirm why it happened halfway through the wash - the water had gotten inside that hole. It also appears that hose hasn't been connected in a while because the area has quite a bit of rust in it...perhaps it's been this way for a while? It may explain why some of us have a problem using our stereos in the rain.

Anyway, I removed all the water from the area last night and took both the Nakamichi amp and the CD Player out. Replaced the fuse, and found my Stereo was turning on and off again.

UNFORTUNATELY...when I plugged the Nak Amp back in, the fuse blew instantly. Looks like the water damaged the amp. I can power the stereo now, but the radio does not play anything without that amp. My question now is this - can anyone here provide me with insight on opening the amp? There might just be some still water in it, and I might be able to salvage it...

I'm also considering a worst case scenario. If I need to buy one, what're my options? My Model # is 86280-24120 / B324ULOA. It had a functioning CD Player attached to it. From what I've read, looks like that's my option too.

Everyone's help is appreciated!

I have nak amps for your SC if you want one. PM me or leave your email if interested.