Replace Power Antenna With Aftermarket Unit

shaveman

New User/Owner -

I have a '91 LS 400 and have already purchased and installed a universal power antenna. (purchased from AutoZone for $35). Once it's in place I realize the wiring isn't as easy as it should be. This is a basic universal antenna requiring power, ground, and control. All I can seem to find in the forums are tips on replacing the mast or "how to" take my car to the dealer? Has anyone done this who could advise me on the wiring? If I need to I can run the wires to the front, but it just seems unnecessary since everything I need is already back there. I tried using a volt meter and obviously don't what I'm doing as I managed to short out the radio 2 fuse under the dash. The only thing I could find that was close was: http://www.autotoys.com/New_Tech/DIY/Power...wer_antenna.htm which does a good job of telling me I can't do it without purchasing a gimmick from their site and doesn't describe which wires they actually used from the harness. Any help/advice is appreciated.

New User/Owner -

I have a '91 LS 400 and have already purchased and installed a universal power antenna. (purchased from AutoZone for $35). Once it's in place I realize the wiring isn't as easy as it should be. This is a basic universal antenna requiring power, ground, and control. All I can seem to find in the forums are tips on replacing the mast or "how to" take my car to the dealer? Has anyone done this who could advise me on the wiring? If I need to I can run the wires to the front, but it just seems unnecessary since everything I need is already back there. I tried using a volt meter and obviously don't what I'm doing as I managed to short out the radio 2 fuse under the dash. The only thing I could find that was close was: http://www.autotoys.com/New_Tech/DIY/Power...wer_antenna.htm which does a good job of telling me I can't do it without purchasing a gimmick from their site and doesn't describe which wires they actually used from the harness. Any help/advice is appreciated.

Unless your drive motor is broken, why not just replace the mast? That's what I just did on my 1992 LS. It is much easier, and does not require any new wiring. Thomas