Power Steering Issue

TA in KC

Hello,

I have a 1992 LS400 with 137000 miles. After a while trying to figure out, I have discovered that my car has the common dreaded power steering pump leak. I would like to try and fix this myself if I can. I do most all of the other maintenance on this car myself now. My question, is there a specific part of the pump that usually causes the leak? Is it one of the hoses, or does the whole pump need to be rebuilt/replaced? It seems like the leak is coming from fairly high up in the engine, I would think it is probably coming from one of the hoses as they and the area around them are very dirty. Has anyone else had similar issues and care to share their experiences?

Thanks,

Thomas

Mine was leaking form the PS return hose. if you remove the air intake covers and air filter and inspect the hose you may notice that the area is wet? if so then it is the pump. thought not too common it could be the High Pressure line also but probably not. the hose should be available at autozone, napa, pep boys, but the dealer will tell you that it is not available. also check the Steering rack filter. If you do a search for Power Steering Pump the thread should have about 5+ pages maybe even 10+ (ie huge thread, should be a Sticky) it details how to remove the filter clean and reinstall. REMEMBER THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT STEP! most people buy a Whole new pump and this one fails also due to the clogged filter!!! Yes, it has been documented on this site.

Good Luck!

Mine was leaking form the PS return hose. if you remove the air intake covers and air filter and inspect the hose you may notice that the area is wet? if so then it is the pump. thought not too common it could be the High Pressure line also but probably not. the hose should be available at autozone, napa, pep boys, but the dealer will tell you that it is not available. also check the Steering rack filter. If you do a search for Power Steering Pump the thread should have about 5+ pages maybe even 10+ (ie huge thread, should be a Sticky) it details how to remove the filter clean and reinstall. REMEMBER THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT STEP! most people buy a Whole new pump and this one fails also due to the clogged filter!!! Yes, it has been documented on this site.

Good Luck!

What is the turning force on a properly working P/S system, can you turn effortlessly with one finger like my OLD chrysler Imperial or is there some tension? Mine is somewhere between a firm feel and no assist, barely able to turn with one finger, but no leaks and no howls from belts. Maybe filter?

Good Luck!

I am not sure which hose is which. There is just crap all over the place around the pump. Probably a combination of me (and the previous owner) spilling trans fluid when filling. Never thought it would be important to clean it until now. I may just want to replace all the hoses. Could you tell me what the return hose looks like? Thanks for your help. Thomas