Es300 Smells Like Gas

sffans

I have a 93 ES300 and it smells like gas really bad. It also has smoke coming out of the exhaust. The idle has gotten really bad too. The gas mileage has gotten really bad. It smells rich. It does not have water in the oil I checked that out.

Please help me out cant seem to figure this thing out.

No it is not your catylitic converter... The gas smell you are smelling could only be two things, first a fuel leak which could be dangerous...Second your car is running to rich of fuel mix...

Where are you smelling the gas smell, inside the car or outside? Or both?

I dont seem to see gas leaking anywhere. I smell it inside and out. You can really smell it through the exhaust. The exhaust is smoking bad. I believe it is running rich because it is really sucking down the gas. It does not do it all the time but it does do it most of the time. it does not idle very good either when its running rich.What causes it to run rich? Thanks again

Your ECU (Electronic Control Unit) or computer brain to your motor controls the fuel mix...Now during warm up the ECU will run the car very rich until normal operating temp is achieved.. It could be a bad sensor to your ECU read that is causing your motor to run rich, or a bad ECU...

I would say it's probably one of two things...your engine temp sensors and or exhaust sensors may be sending your ECU a cold engine read... That could cause the gas smell but I dought that is problem... Or you could be short a cylinder and piston from firing, and your car would run very poor at idle with reduced power overall.. Unspent fuel could be coming out your exhaust if that is the case and that I would check first.... You can check the spark plug wires one at a time to see if each cylinder is firing and then inspect each spark plug as well... A bad ignition coil could be the culprit also...You can also try changing out the spark plugs, spark plug wires, to see if that helps if it is time to do that anyway....

Does your check engine light come on? You may want to get a computer diagnostic check for the problem also...THe test should throw a code if your car is running poorly like you stated... That code will tell the mechanic what is causing the problem...

Hope this helps...Good luck....

PS..Also a little hint, run the car to normal operating temp and look at your cat converters to see if they look red hot...One or more pistons not firing can turn the cats bright red hot and actually fry them out.... Sounds like you shouldn't drive the car to much until you get this problem resolved..

I have checked a few things out. The check engine light does not come on. there is no water in the oil. It did overheat today and i dont know why. It still runs rough. I changed plugs and wires. Seemed to help but then it started rite back. Could it be distrubtor cap or the transmission? What about the fuel filter ? I need help for I have no money to take it to a dealer. Thanks again