Should I Sipe My Tires?

BlackLex

Siping is a process that puts small grooves or cuts in the tread, supposedly for better traction. I read somewhere that siping actually decreases the mileage you get from a tire. When I purchased my last set from Discount Tire they offered siping for $10 per tire. I told them no thanks and they offered again at $1 a tire. I still said no. If it is a benefit and can easily be done in the shop why don't manufacturers include it on tires from the factory? Reduced life?

Siping is a process that puts small grooves or cuts in the tread, supposedly for better traction. I read somewhere that siping actually decreases the mileage you get from a tire. When I purchased my last set from Discount Tire they offered siping for $10 per tire. I told them no thanks and they offered again at $1 a tire. I still said no. If it is a benefit and can easily be done in the shop why don't manufacturers include it on tires from the factory? Reduced life?

I bought a set of Good Years from Discount Tire in Rochester and had them siped. They got great traction on the ice and snow, but the summer after I had them done, small pieces of the tire started crumbling off. I didn't do anything about it but probably should have. As a result I only got about 30,000 miles on them and they were rated for 75,000 miles.