Advice - 08 350 V 400h? Options

Greetings everyone.

Just had our first baby and I am looking to get an SUV which I never thought I would do (turning in her Audi a4 soon). This car is for my wife, so looking for smooth, quiet, safe, large rear seat room for rear facing carseat, efficient/clean.

The lease rates look great on the RX, mostly since my friend works at the dealership ($1k below invoice - let me know if you can get better)

I like the 350 but am debating on getting the 400h. I own a prius already and am a scientist, so am educated on emissions/efficiency. I like that the 400h is SULEV and gets better gas mileage, but from what I read, not much better. If you are spending extra $ to save on fuel costs, it's not worth it. I already ready on forbes.com the rx400 had the lowest ownership cost of any vehicle in the country. So I just have to decide if the additional monthly payments are worth the state of mind of getting SULEV emissions and lower fuel cost reminders every time I fill up.

So what options are necessry or recommended for this car? Trying to get the best bang/buck without breaking the piggy bank.

I live in S Cali with minimal rain/snow, so I dont think I will need AWD (extra weight/less efficient). I think the RX and Highlander Hybrid are the most popular cars in Manhattan Beach..haha.

I know there are tons of SUVs in this segment but nothing else really interests me other than the Subaru Tribeca

I look forward to the RX objective and veteraned advice

Thanks

Jason

Manhattan Beach, CA

1st Time SUV buyer (with new infant child)

• 1 month later...

I've owned both the rx350 and rx400h. I couldn't get used to the "electric-gas" "feel/transition" while driving. it just felt wrong to me.

I guess if you're used to the prius, the transition shouldn't be very hard.

The 400h gets better HP, that's about the only significant difference. the mileage isn't much better.

Also, the interior's are different on the 400h. In 07, they didnt even offer the wood package; now, they do, but it only comes with the light yellow wood :wacko:

Personally? I'd buy the hybrid probably. Its not really cost effective, but it sounds like the technology is important to you and if you got the 350 I bet you'd always want the 400h.

Plus, the 400h is just a more unique package with the different wheels, bumper, and lights.