Leaking Power Steering Fluid

TVJR

My 93 ES 300 is leaking power steering fluid to the point where I have to top it off about every two days. One mechanic said it was leaking from the rack and pinion unit, but upon further review stated that he needs to clean up (underneath to get a better look) using decreaser to ensure that it is leaking from the rack. I'm hopeful that it's leaking from one of the hoses. Anyone experienced power steering fluid leaking from their ES 300? Just wondering if it's a common problem.

Like always, thanks for the input.

• 1 month later...

The easy way to find your leak is to wipe down all of the power steering hoses, connections, the pump and the steering rack. Get them dry and fairly clean. Much of this will have to be done with the car in the air and the bottom engine shield removed. Then make sure that the power steering tank is properly filled and start the car while its still in the air. With someone under the car, turn the steering wheel full lock in one direction, hold it momentarily, then turn it full lock in the opposite direction and hold it momentarily. Your leak will be readily visible, if as you say you need to fill the reservoir every 2 days.

The easy way to find your leak is to wipe down all of the power steering hoses, connections, the pump and the steering rack. Get them dry and fairly clean. Much of this will have to be done with the car in the air and the bottom engine shield removed. Then make sure that the power steering tank is properly filled and start the car while its still in the air. With someone under the car, turn the steering wheel full lock in one direction, hold it momentarily, then turn it full lock in the opposite direction and hold it momentarily. Your leak will be readily visible, if as you say you need to fill the reservoir every 2 days.

Thanks for your response. I took the car to a local mechanic and he found a leak in the high pressure hose, he said that the labor would be $100 to replace the hose and the hose should cost about $120, does this sound right, about $220 to replace a hose? Is this something that I may be able to do myself?

Thanks in advance.

You can change the high pressure power steering hose yourself, if you have average mechanical ability, the tools, and the time . Just in the last 4 weeks I changed the same hose on my 90 Nissan 300zx with the front of the car up on jack stands in my garage. The only special tools required were a 3/8th's inch universal and a 3/8th's torque wrench for tightening the banjo fitting bolts correctly to specs (In my case about 25 foot lbs as they have to hold back 800 lbs of oil pressure from the pump). Be sure to use new copper washers on both sides of the banjo fittings when reinstalling the new hose (they should be included with the new hose). Your merchanic's $100 labour fee is about right since there isn't a lot of room to move and get at things removing or installing the hoses. My ZX was a bitc* to say the least. Don't know how an ES would be, but it can't be any worse or easier. When finished the install, leave the car in the air and fill the reservoir to the proper level, and turn the steering wheel lock to lock several times with the engine off. Then refill if necessary. Then turn the engine on, and turn the wheels lock to lock several times, checking and refilling until no longer necessary. That's about it, except that you may find that there may be an electrical pressure sensor attached to the high pressure hose on the car, that you'll have to transfer onto your new hose before installing. Not a big deal. Good Luck! Just an after thought. Because of room limitations you may find it easier to get the high pressure hose off and on if you remove the lower pressure hose if its in the way.

• 6 years later...

Hi, I am needing to replace my power steering high pressure hose assembly and saw this thread. I'm on a very tight budget, shopping for the part on Ebay, and the Lexus version is more expensive then Auto zone on there, but the Toyota Camry parts (2001/2006) look very similar and are much cheaper. Would anyone know for sure if these are interchangeable or not?