Topping Off Coolant

Lex-ed

I had the timing belt changed and a new water pump put on about two months ago. When checking fluids this morning (before starting the car) i noticed the coolant was about an inch to inch and half below the 'low cold' mark on the receptacle. I topped it off so the coolant level is now in between the low and high range for where it should be when the car is cold. I estimate that I added about 1/2 to 3/4 cup of red coolant. Is this normal to have to top off, or do I have a leak? I did not see any fluids under the car. Thanks.

I had the same problem with a Nissan Murano 2003, result, broken radiator, cause bad radiator cap that did not open at the prescribed pressure. Solution bought a new cap 6-9 bucks no more problem no more coolant evaporation. It is even a TSB on the radiator cap for that year model.

You can even buy the Stent, Stant brand which for Nisan cars in America are OEM. Advance sells them pretty cheap, mine has about 3 years with no problem. Usually the gasket engrosses not permitting the pressure flow as engineered to happen. You notice when you refill coolant and it evaporates with no leaks.

Second if your thermostat is older than seven years I would also think about replacing it. I had a Supra 87 and it would overheat at high speeds above 70, changed lower hose, coolant, radiator flushed and even the electric fan and the problem persisted changed the thermostat problem resolved. I bought it at the dealer. A buddy of mine owns the car never heard no problem with the thermostat. Caps are OK to buy in advance, thermostat I would only buy OEM, they last 3 times longer and are more reliable.