My Wheel Basically Fell Off While Driving.. (pics)

oaltairao

The tow guy said my lugs were either too tight or too loose but the lugs broke while I was driving down the street today. There was a loud noise & vibration coming from the back right wheel for about 2 days before it finally happened. They literally broke, I pulled out the lugs w/ the lugnuts still attached - The wheel was being held on via one lug when I get it towed.

Soo to my question, does anyone know exactly what I should get from the dealer/ebay?

1993 SC300

Thanks a lot in advance!!

-Donovan

The tow guy said my lugs were either too tight or too loose but the lugs broke while I was driving down the street today. There was a loud noise & vibration coming from the back right wheel for about 2 days before it finally happened. They literally broke, I pulled out the lugs w/ the lugnuts still attached - The wheel was being held on via one lug when I get it towed.

Soo to my question, does anyone know exactly what I should get from the dealer/ebay?

1993 SC300

Thanks a lot in advance!!

-Donovan

Well, If the lugs were loose torque them to spec, If they were to tight I would check the rest of the wheels. Did the car land on the rotor? If it did you should replace both rear rotors and the lug studs and nuts for reasons of stress and safety. Personally I always replace items in pairs. If I need a taillight bulb, I replace every bulb on both sides at the same time. That's just the way I am.

If the wheel stayed on the car, inspect the caliper and disc, and have all the hub bolts replaced on that wheel. Inspect and properly torque the wheel nuts on the other three wheels. Make certain you are using the correct wheel nuts for your wheels. Steel wheels, alloy wheels and after market wheels can all use different wheel nuts. The threads engage easily and the wheel goes back on, but not permanently. The end result will be just what happened to you.