Fuel Consumption Issues With My 95 Es300

neverdone

I have a 1995 ES300 with about 100,000 miles on it. It has mostly trouble free operation except for things like exterior door handles. My issue is though with gas mileage. I am only getting about 200 miles or for a full tank. I don't understand why this has gotten so bad. The car has no check engine light or other major mechanical flaws. I am little cautious to take it some where to be checked because I have been screwed over in the past. Are there any major known reasons why the gas mileage might be so bad? Is there anything major that I should look for or check out that will help determine why it is so bad? Thanks for any advice you all can give.

I have a 1995 ES300 with about 100,000 miles on it. It has mostly trouble free operation except for things like exterior door handles. My issue is though with gas mileage. I am only getting about 200 miles or for a full tank. I don't understand why this has gotten so bad. The car has no check engine light or other major mechanical flaws. I am little cautious to take it some where to be checked because I have been screwed over in the past. Are there any major known reasons why the gas mileage might be so bad? Is there anything major that I should look for or check out that will help determine why it is so bad? Thanks for any advice you all can give.

Try a tank of good gas with some good fuel injector cleaner in it. Drive it fairly hard with that tank to try to clean the injectors and blow any excess carbon out. That would be my first recommendation that is inexpensive and worth a try. Good Luck

Will do, thanks. If the 02 sensor is malfunctioning will that cause the check engine light to go off in a pre-obd2 car?

Sometimes NO. It can be going bad but still show up as ok. I think it will show up bad only if it totally fails.

But dont quote me on that.

I get about 250 per tank with about 2- 3 galons left (some say it eats too much gas) But i think for NYC its normal.

Count how much you spend on the gas now vs. changing o2 sensor and how long u plan to keep car and decide if its worth changing the o2 sensor or just spend a bit more on gas.

good luck

stuck injector, or a bad main o2 sensor (or two)

probably wouldn't hurt to clean the MAF too. sk did a good post about it along time ago somewhere in here.

Toysrme is right. Clean also your throtle body and add seafoam in fuel tank as recommended. Don't forget to check air filter that affects MAF. I hope it isn't stuck injector (that's a shame)!