Xm Satellite Radio

My dealer installed the transducer for the satellite radio in the rear window of my LS460. I keep losing the signal, especially when heading north. I believe it is due to the position of the transducer. I am located in Canada. Where do the USA dealers place the transducer?

Not sure what this transducer you're talking about, but in the US, there is no dealer install for the XM for the LS460. Its factory installed with the Navigation system.

Not sure what this transducer you're talking about, but in the US, there is no dealer install for the XM for the LS460. Its factory installed with the Navigation system.

What I mean by the transducer is the antenna. The LS460's sold in the USA have a fin on the center rear of the roof. Is this the antenna for the XM radio?

What I mean by the transducer is the antenna. The LS460's sold in the USA have a fin on the center rear of the roof. Is this the antenna for the XM radio?

Yes the sharkfin antenna on the roof is used for the XM and Lexus Link. Is the XM install some sort of factory install or did the dealer install an aftermarket system? A number of things could be causing your issue. First thing the antenna should have an unobstructed view toward the southern sky. Many people have placed their antenna inside the vehicle, but thats generally not the best place. You say that it occurs when heading north. Are you traveling through an urban enviroment or rural. Urban enviroments have ground repeaters if the satellite signal is blocked. Once you leave the city you rely primarily on the satellite signal. Also how far north are you going. XM uses two stationary satellites over the equator so when you head north you're heading away from the source. Here's a rough picture of what the coverage is like...

http://www.dogstarradios.com/sirasasecoma.html

Yes the sharkfin antenna on the roof is used for the XM and Lexus Link. Is the XM install some sort of factory install or did the dealer install an aftermarket system? A number of things could be causing your issue. First thing the antenna should have an unobstructed view toward the southern sky. Many people have placed their antenna inside the vehicle, but thats generally not the best place. You say that it occurs when heading north. Are you traveling through an urban enviroment or rural. Urban enviroments have ground repeaters if the satellite signal is blocked. Once you leave the city you rely primarily on the satellite signal. Also how far north are you going. XM uses two stationary satellites over the equator so when you head north you're heading away from the source. Here's a rough picture of what the coverage is like...

http://www.dogstarradios.com/sirasasecoma.html

The XM is a Lexus product but is an option installed by the dealer. The antenna is installed inside the vehicle which is not the best place. This mainly happens in a rural environment but well within the satellite area. I think my dealer took the cheap way out when he installed this $900 option. Knowing that the sharkfin is the antenna for XM will give me some amunition to fight with the dealer for a proper instal.

All LS460's for North America have XM installed as standard equipment from the factory in Japan. I don't understand what the dealer is "installing" for XM. It already has it.

Al Lexus produced for the USA may have factory installed XM but in Canada it is a dealer installed option. The option packages are quite different between the two countries.

I'd love to see what this XM antenna looks like. All the XM antennas for Lexus, except the new LS, GS, IS, are the common type that we mount on the trunk or roof. The only glass installed antenna is the Sigma antenna that we mount to the front windshield for the Sirius install. I actually like the clean look without the sharkfin.

Canada also has different accessories than the U.S., like sedan roof racks, LS mudflaps, etc.