Gs*00 Manual Shifting From The Steering Wheel

Hello All,

As a 'new owner' of a '99 GS400, there is of course the option of up or down "M-Shifting" from the Steering Wheel -

How best to do this (?) For example, in the "M" Position, does the car actually go up and down through the gears normally as it does in "D" ?

Specifically I am thinking of the drive over California Highway-17 from Los Gatos to Santa Cruz. This is a curvy, windy tight 4-lane road approximately 20-miles in length with many ups-and-downs and speed reductions to 40mph on the tightest curves. One really has to stay-on-top of things, be focused and not drift-asleep driving this stretch, most especially going down-hill. Folks tend to drive this at their highest speed physically possible irrespective of the posted speed limit, which is either 50 or 55 on the straighter flat stretches through the Santa Cruz Mountains there.

It seems to me the up-and-down shifting available through the "M" position would be ideally suited to this application -

Any thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated -

Incidentally, right now I am treating the hood (...the car is Black Onyx) with Turtle Wax' "Ice Claybar" and seem to be winning, especially on removing any final hints of oxidation remaing within the paint.

Thanks in advance