Car Dies, Then Takes Awhile To Start Up

Only had the car for about 3 weeks and it's been acting up. First time it happened was when my sis took my car to run errands and she said the car would just die all of a sudden, she couldn't get it to start up so the car was towed home. Didn't take a look at the car for couple of day but when i tried it started up, there was white smoke coming out of the exhaust which i think there was excessive gas when my sis was trying to get the car started.

The next day, I was changing out my coolant and noticed a leak at the top of the radiator, so i bought a new radiator. Didn't work on the car till a week later. I was draining/filling the radiator w/ water several times because it was very dirty when i drained it. All of a sudden my car just died but it started right up.

Later on at night i was gonna drain/fill the radiator one last time then the car just died all of a sudden. This time i couldn't get it started so i called it a night. The next morning, the car started and had white smoke coming out of the exhaust. About 10 mins later the car died and didn't want to start up. I can hear the fuel pump working when i try to start up the car.

I changed out all of the spark plugs and the car started right up after that. 10 mins later it died and wouldn't start up.

The car cranks but wouldn't start up. Seems like the longer i let the car sit, the longer the car will run.

Anybody know what else i can check/change?

This car is giving me a headache! Dont think this is related but the car heated two days after I bought the car due to low coolant and possibly the leak in the radiator. Didn't see any oil when i was draining the radiator.

• 4 weeks later...

Only had the car for about 3 weeks and it's been acting up. First time it happened was when my sis took my car to run errands and she said the car would just die all of a sudden, she couldn't get it to start up so the car was towed home. Didn't take a look at the car for couple of day but when i tried it started up, there was white smoke coming out of the exhaust which i think there was excessive gas when my sis was trying to get the car started.

The next day, I was changing out my coolant and noticed a leak at the top of the radiator, so i bought a new radiator. Didn't work on the car till a week later. I was draining/filling the radiator w/ water several times because it was very dirty when i drained it. All of a sudden my car just died but it started right up.

Later on at night i was gonna drain/fill the radiator one last time then the car just died all of a sudden. This time i couldn't get it started so i called it a night. The next morning, the car started and had white smoke coming out of the exhaust. About 10 mins later the car died and didn't want to start up. I can hear the fuel pump working when i try to start up the car.

I changed out all of the spark plugs and the car started right up after that. 10 mins later it died and wouldn't start up.

The car cranks but wouldn't start up. Seems like the longer i let the car sit, the longer the car will run.

Anybody know what else i can check/change?

This car is giving me a headache! Dont think this is related but the car heated two days after I bought the car due to low coolant and possibly the leak in the radiator. Didn't see any oil when i was draining the radiator.

ha! this happened to my gs as well, i was driving on the freeway and it turned off lol funny but weird soo i went home parked , later i came back outside tried to start it and nothing :( car was dead. i waited till next morning car turned on and white smoke came out aswell soo i droved it to work like that, when i was going to lunch once again car was dead. I got mad and i started to hit the battery tried turning it on and it worked..soo i decided it was the battery so i went to an auto store bought a new battery and taaaarann!! it worked :) car has been running like new hasnt turned off or died and everything is ok!!

Did you say 'overheated'? My previuos experience with other car brands (Chrysler & MG) overheating almost always end up with a blown head gasket.

Does the engine oil look or the exhaust fume smell 'normal'? Have you tried to have codes pulled off the ECU to see if it registers any problem?

These are as much as I can think of since I'm not that mechanically or automobile (yes, even with Lexus) inclined.

PF

Did you say 'overheated'? My previuos experience with other car brands (Chrysler & MG) overheating almost always end up with a blown head gasket.

Does the engine oil look or the exhaust fume smell 'normal'? Have you tried to have codes pulled off the ECU to see if it registers any problem?

These are as much as I can think of since I'm not that mechanically or automobile (yes, even with Lexus) inclined.

PF

Haven't found any systems of a blown head gasket yet. Don't think it's the battery since it's only been about 4 months old unless that battery crapped out.

• 3 months later...

PF

Haven't found any systems of a blown head gasket yet. Don't think it's the battery since it's only been about 4 months old unless that battery crapped out.

HI i that happen to me too and my friend told me to change the coil and i did it after that my car is running just fine