Turbo...maybe?

hey

my friend bought a 96 es300, pretty sexy car. and, we found out the engine was the same as a camry's, but no biggy, since it wasn't made to be a performance car. but anyways, hes a turbo freak, his other two cars (a 300zx and a supra) have twin turbo. now, were thinking of puttig on a turbo for his es300, but we haven't managed to find one for it. and is it even safe to run a turbo on that type of engine? i think hes kinda pushin it over the limit, but he told me to ask anyways.....

thx in advance

s.a.

why would your friend even want to turbo an ES, it makes no sense. To turbo an IS, or SC, that would make perfect sense because they are supposed to go fast. In my opinion it would be an awfully expensive and stupid mistake. Keep the ES like its supposed to be, a good little showing off car...works good for me because i am only 16...and cruising car. There is no need for more power on an ES.

why would your friend even want to turbo an ES, it makes no sense. To turbo an IS, or SC, that would make perfect sense...

It makes more since than turbo'ing an IS or SC... Of which *technically* speaking... SC's are bloated pigs while IS's are no faster than an ES, worse trimmed, fewer parts avalibility & more expencive parts. Along with having a lanky i6 that revs so slow it can bearly get out of it's own way from a dig. They can not make any more power than an ES without a built engine, and/or drivetrain. And when either is done. Until you're talking about breaking three digit horsepower , the FWD platform will rev much faster, incurre less of a drivetrain loss, and hook much better.

givemeyourwife - any work must be custom done. I did a '94 camry v6 turbo project two months ago for a guy (same as your car, but the 95-96's dropped coil on plug ignition for wasted spark)

The long term limits when tuned well & driven correctly are around 320bhp on the A/T, and 350-375bhp on the engine.

Otherwise, when built properly with deep pocket books the upper limit of what you can make is not currently known. SO unless you wanna go dropping 25 grand in a drivetrain and chassie in a quest for 2000bhp... Just leave it as "strong enough".

well wats the plan with this turbo ES, is it a strait up drag car, or you gonna actually race. It has been said that any front wheel drive car has a limit of about 250-270 hp, higher than that it will race like crap. i just dont see the point in turboing an ES...and when i was talken about the SC's i meant the old one, like 94, and 95 where they looked good and ppl are getter 1000-1500hp out of them with a twin turbo...among other things.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

uhh acura tl's have 286(type s) and its a front wheel isnt it?

About turboing the Es, its not a bad idea, but i dont think its really meant to be much of a racing car. Although people have been know to Mod rx's so its your friends money, if he really like turbos tell him to go for it.