Rx350 In The Snow?

RX4Me

I am seriously considering purchasing a 2006-08 RX350 AWD, but would like to know how it performs in the snow. I would appreciate any personal experiences with driving your RX, specifically in Northeastern PA.

Many thanks :)

I am seriously considering purchasing a 2006-08 RX350 AWD, but would like to know how it performs in the snow. I would appreciate any personal experiences with driving your RX, specifically in Northeastern PA.

Many thanks :)

The RX, all models and years, is more of a FWD vehicle than an AWD. They should really be referred to as F/AWD, front torque biased AWD.

It is my understanding that as of the '08 model year the RX is getting a sequential shutoff mode/procedure for the TC, Traction Control, and VSC, Vehicle Stability Control. The TC must first be disabled and then having done that it becomes possible to also disable VSC.

My 2001 AWD RX300, like the RX350, has a VC, Viscous Clutch/coupling, mounted, effectively, across the two output shafts of the center diff'l. Absent the VC and its ability to "tighten" the coupling between the center diff'l you really only have FWD for "handling" adverse roadbed conditions. The TC in my 2001 is so quick to actiavte and dethrottle the engine in my it makes my VC utterly useless. Maybe that's why it was left off for the entire RX330 production run.

I remain curious as to how the TC firmware was revised, assuming it was, to allow the VC to be operational in the RX350.

In any case were I you I would first consider a R/AWD SUV, like the BMW X3 that has a definite rear biased to its AWD mode. Or even one of the Honda/Acura SH-AWD equipped vehicles with the ability to dynamically allocate more engine torque to the rear vs the front. And they seem to that in exactly the correct circumstances, the very circumstances in which any F/AWD such as the RX will be patently UNSAFE.

My 2001 AWD RX300 has 1.5" wheel spacers all around, 17X8 wheels, +1" tires. More rubber on the ground = improved traction and braking, wider stance = more stability, less propensity for rollover, etc. The tires are nice, quiet, and comfortably riding summer only Bridgestone Turanzas. If road conditions warrant better traction then I use tire chains at the rear FIRST, and then add the front chains if needed.

"More rubber on the ground = improved traction and braking"

Not in the snow it doesn't.

I have a 2001 and with all season tires it does very well in the snow. For added security I bought a set of snow tires and wheels from Tire Rack. With those on it is unbelievable! As good as anything I have ever been in. I am in NE Ohio and we get plenty of snow. The only thing it is missing is ground clearance when it gets really deep. Very rarely an issue.

I have plenty of rear bias, with old tires I can get the back to fishtail in the snow.

"More rubber on the ground = improved traction and braking"

Not in the snow it doesn't.

I have a 2001 and with all season tires it does very well in the snow. For added security I bought a set of snow tires and wheels from Tire Rack. With those on it is unbelievable! As good as anything I have ever been in. I am in NE Ohio and we get plenty of snow. The only thing it is missing is ground clearance when it gets really deep. Very rarely an issue.

I have plenty of rear bias, with old tires I can get the back to fishtail in the snow.

"Not in the snow it doesn't."

Well, in freshly fallen unpacked snow I find it simply doesn't matter, my summer tires provide just as good service as, seemingly, any of the wintertime "specialty" tires. But on packed snow and/or ice my summer times will have better traction than any of the specialty tires.

i think any vehicle just as long as it's not rear wheel drive will "get you where you need to go" in stormy weather (just as long as it's not up huge hills etc.).

The Gs430 and Ls430 are AWFUL in the snow (from personal experience). The Es330 was better in the snow than these!

The Rx300/330/350 are fine in snowy conditions, just make sure you have good tread on the tires... Unless you have to climb a mountain, you won't have a problem getting to work...

The only problem you'll have is stopping; but it's like that with any car.

i think any vehicle just as long as it's not rear wheel drive will "get you where you need to go" in stormy weather (just as long as it's not up huge hills etc.).

The Gs430 and Ls430 are AWFUL in the snow (from personal experience). The Es330 was better in the snow than these!

The Rx300/330/350 are fine in snowy conditions, just make sure you have good tread on the tires... Unless you have to climb a mountain, you won't have a problem getting to work...

The only problem you'll have is stopping; but it's like that with any car.

"The only problem you'll have is stopping; but it's like that with any car."

Well, no.....NOT!

I can't quote Ford's new US patent directly but it quite succinctly addresses two of the problems, safety issues, with FWD and/or front torque biased AWD....F/AWD.

The patented technique apparently applies to the Ford Escape hydrid and the Mercury Mariner hybrid vehicles, both available in FWD only or (automatic) PART-TIME AWD.

The first technique involves significantly reducing the level of regenerative braking to be used, applied, by the hybrid control system should the OAT be nearing, at, or below freezing. The second technique involves disabling the regenerative braking aspect the INSTANT ABS activates during actual braking.

As almost any experienced 4X4, PART-TIME 4 wheel drive owner will tell you, unless you have a clutch DO NOT operate the vehicle in part time mode on a slippery roadbed surface except to get unstuck, initially get up and going, etc. The problem with a FWD or F/AWD is the same, if not worse. On a slick roadbed when a driver in a 4X4 lifts the throttle for slowing or coastdown 50% of the resulting engine compression braking will be applied to the front wheels, oftentimes resulting in serious level of understearing or even entering an uncontrolable skid. On a FWD or F/AWD ALL, or a major portion thereof, of the engine compression braking will be applied at the front.

In about the mid-ninties insurance company statistics began to indicate that ABS equipped vehicles were less safe that their non-ABS equipped counterparts. Apparently the "tilting" factor was attributed to slightly more single vehicle "run off the road"(***) accidents. I think it was at about the same time that the AAA began a campaign to advise FWD and F/AWD owners/drivers how to avoid one of the more serious hazards of FWD or F/AWD on adverse roadbed conditions. Basically they said that if you have an automatic trnasaxle you should practice shifting the transaxle into neutral, QUICKLY shifting the transaxle into neutral. The idea was to prepare you for the day when a lift-throttle coastdown event resulted in enough engine compression braking to cause a loss of directional control on a slippery roadbed surface.

Good thing that automatic transaxles often don't provide enough engine/driveline coupling in coastdown mode to make the vehicle TRULY unsafe.

*** _____________________________________________

Hmmmm....

I often wonder if this aspect of the ABS safety statistics didn't have more to do with the increasing prevalence of FWD and F/AWD vehicles at/during this period of time. We all know. I hope, that FWD and F/AWD are more prone to understearing (single vehicle "run off the road") than their RWD and R/AWD brotheren. So, did the increase in use of ABS so well coinside with the rising use of FWD and F/AWD that it was really not ABS so much as ABS AND FWD-F/AWD that was the causative factor tilting ABS into the "unsafe" column?

close_____________________________________________

And it was about this time, seemingly, that someone gave the automotive industry a "heads up" and they began trying to find ways to alleviate even more of the engine/driveline coupling on their FWD and F/AWD products during coastdown events. And don't forget, let the wording of the US patent granted to Ford recently, serve as a reminder that engine compression braking on a FWD or F/AWD vehicle can interfere with the functionality of the anti-lock braking system unless you are quick to shift the transaxle into neutral when the need arises.

This effort, starting in '98 and continuing to this very day, has resulted in a PR nightmare for Toyota and Lexus.

So if you live south of the "snowline", say AZ, and NEVER go into the mountains during the winter, FWD and/or F/AWD will undoubtedly serve you well.

Otherwise I would advise a good life insurance policy and a Will that appoints guardianship for your offspring.