Running On Empty

OK, I know the manual recommends against it, but in practice, if one runs out of fuel, can the 400 be driven slowly on electrical only for few miles to the next gas station, hopefully before running out of battery? I would like to hear from anyone who tried it, especially how far could they go and what happened when the engine tried to kick in.

you may be able to drive it on battery for a few miles however you risk damaging a $4,000 main battery, and if you cannot get the ice to restart after three tries, the entire system will shut down to protect itself from people like you. It will require a tow to the dealer and a reset to get it up and running. these hybrids were not made to run without the possibility of the ice running when needed. I also used to let the tank run pretty low in my previous vehicles, i just dont do it in the hybrid.

You won't get more than 1.4 miles on the battery alone.

Correct ... and that's if you're up in the green and on level ground ... but yes ... if you have 80% showing on your gauge and you have just a block or so, you can at least get to the station to refill without having to push.

Anybody know, if you are averaging around 27 mpg, and the fuel light comes on, how many more miles you have on average before getting critical?

On my last tank of gas, I managed to run 585 miles and averaged 34.1mpg

I am curious to know what kind of mileage play we have when orange fuel level light comes on and when the vehicle runs out of fuel.

Cheers,

MadloR

Anybody know, if you are averaging around 27 mpg, and the fuel light comes on, how many more miles you have on average before getting critical?

I am curious to know what kind of mileage play we have when orange fuel level light comes on and when the vehicle runs out of fuel.

Cheers,

MadloR

How did you average 34 MPG????? The RX gets I think 32 in the city and 27 on the highway...34.1 is incredible!!

How did you average 34 MPG????? The RX gets I think 32 in the city and 27 on the highway...34.1 is incredible!!

Simple! It's called, 'practice'. :P

Same as with the Prius ... EPA says 45mpg (new EPA) or 52mpg (old EPA) ... but hypermiler's get in the 70's. I've done it myself (just to see if it's real). I've gotten 71.1mpg ~ and 725 miles on one tank of gas in the Prius (less than 10 gallons) and similarly, gotten 34mpg in the 400h AWD version (one tank, average), without too much effort. Wouldn't want to have to drive that 'carefull' all the time, but just once, for grins? Yep, it CAN be done.

Cheers,

MadloR

Well, I must say it required some practice to get at this point, as well as good weather. By that I mean, it has been pleasantly warm but not extremely humid. So, 90% of the time I did not have the AC on. Tire pressures were at 39psi. I drove with the windows up, and the sunroof either tilted up or open on the hotter days.

Also, it requires plenty of anticipation and coasting when approaching stop lights. Obviously the hot weather helps to keep the Cat's at full boil (to meet emissions, should the ICE come on) and therefore the name of the game is to keep start stop conditions to a minimum and maintain as MUCH as possible driving within the city. Also, if you need to commute on the Highway, drive at 55mph at the most, and if you can be in a lane where slower speeds can be maintained without p!ss!ng off people behind you, so be it. Also, coast as much as you can, as often as you can, especially when driving with down hill slopes, turn off the cruise control and let the 400h gain as much speed as possible. Also, use the regen. braking as much as posssible and avoid "stomping" on the brakes.

With that being said, if the gas light comes on and there is 3 gallons of fuel left, then realistically the drive toward empty should give me a range of approximately 75 - 100 miles, with the safe bet being a sure thing 50 miles. Cool.

Cheers,

MadloR

I don't think I drive around like I have a lead foot, but so far the best I can do is around 28 MPG. Since I drive 80% hwy, so it's tough to maintain 55 as my hwy speed, esp. when my hours differ from the traffic hours.

Nice to know it can be done though as I was wondering the hybrid is not that much better than a regular one.