Dealer Installed Xm Radio?

js0873

I recently had the dealer install the integrated XM radio in my 2004 LS. Since they left the manual in the car, what I can tell that they actually installed was a VAIS SoundLinQ SLX interface. That may or may not be normal, and may or may not be what's used if a factory XM sateliite is ordered. Does anyone know? In any case, they also added a small dashboard XM antenna, which wasn't what I expected but also may be normal. I had thought that a satellite would use the included rooftop antenna, although in thinking back on it I can see how that's not likely. So the second question I have is, is a dashboard mounted small antenna, located on the passenger side, also normal for dealer installed XM radios?

Last, on the functionality, I can't see a way to easily see what's playing on multiple stations before switching to them. I can see a small amount of information for the stations I've selected as favorites in my Sat-1 or Sat-2 panels, but that's all, and pressing TEXT, which I had hoped would show me different information on multiple stations, only brings up extended information for the one station I'm listening to and stays there until I press TEXT again. Is there any way to get information (like scores of games, whose song is playing, and so on) on stations while listening to another one?

I also have VAIS Tech SoundLinQ in my '05, and also had it in my '03. It wasn't dealer installed though (at least not Lexus-dealer installed). The antenna is normal. On my '03, they placed it on the right corner of the dash where the dash meets the windshield. I had them use the smaller of the XM antennas. On my '05, I had them install the antenna on the rear package shelf (right next to the rear window). I haven't had any problems with interference. The antenna on the roof is for use with a hard-wired phone, or Lexus Link, I believe. I don't think you can use it for satellite.

When a Lexus dealer installs XM, I don't think they use VAIS Tech by default. I think there is another manufacturer that they use; at least in the loaner cars that I've driven. But the VAIS Tech is a good unit. I have been happy with mine, and also have the SLI (iPod version) in my wife's RX.

I do not think there is a way to see the information as text that you are requesting. If you have the audio view on your nav screen set to where you see the station presets, I think you can see some information in each of the little icons. I don't know of another way to do that, though.

Enjoy your LS!