Lx470 Behind Motorhome

MonacoMan

Does anyone tow a LX470 four wheels down behind a motorhome ? If so what procedures, if any, are necessary to prevent problems? I see all of the tow bar mfg's make a baseplate for the 470, but they all say "read owners' manual" which says "do not". So what gives ??

I think if you do, you'll suffer major drivetrain damage, even if the tranny is in neutral. Besides it being full-time 4wd, I recall someone saying it didn't have the ability to recirculate fluid in the t-case or something. In a nutshell, the only way you can tow it is on a flatbed.

I think if you do, you'll suffer major drivetrain damage, even if the tranny is in neutral. Besides it being full-time 4wd, I recall someone saying it didn't have the ability to recirculate fluid in the t-case or something. In a nutshell, the only way you can tow it is on a flatbed.

Mine is a 2002 and it is not full time 4WD, it is selectable by pressing a switch on the dash. I am pretty sure that with the transfer case in N, the only thing turning is the 2 drive shaft, and the tranny isn't connected at all. :unsure:

Monaco, are you sure your LX is not fulltime 4wd? It's my understanding that the LX has always been fulltime 4wd. As far as I know, the button on the dash is to lock the center differential.

Hmmm could be. I know when the button is pressed and the indicator in the panel lights, I can feel all wheels pulling in a tight turn. ?????? When off, it corners normally...

Monaco, are you sure your LX is not fulltime 4wd? It's my understanding that the LX has always been fulltime 4wd. As far as I know, the button on the dash is to lock the center differential.

Hmmm could be. I know when the button is pressed and the indicator in the panel lights, I can feel all wheels pulling in a tight turn. ?????? When off, it corners normally...

That's your center diff lock binding the drivetrain. The reason is when you turn, the front wheels cover a longer distance than the rear wheels (think of a big-rig making a tight corner). The CDL forces both front and rear driveshafts to turn at the same speed, which means the front/rear axles will turn at the same speed. This means the front and rear wheels want to cover the same distance over ground, but they can't since you are turning. The result is, some other part of the drivetrain (usually your transfer case) takes up the pressure or the wheels chirp/skid (if on dirt). If the tires can't slip like when on dirt/snow, the drivetrain takes up the stress. This can damage your drivetrain. This is also why it's sometimes difficult to shift from 4wd low to high or vice versa if the CDL was engaged and you turned. The way to relieve the stress on the drivetrain is to do the opposite (drive in reverse while turning).