Rekey The Car?

MO-Lexus

I purchased a used 2004 LS 430 a couple of weeks ago off the internet. No rips on the internet purchase because saved over $10K off the dealer price.

Anyway, there are a few minor hick-ups that I am starting to take care of. I obtained a friends owners manual that answered a lot of my questions. However, found out a major issue.

1. I failed to check the key before buying. The "smartkey" needed to be in the ignition to start the car but just thought that I needed to reset settings to work properly. After looking at the manual I thought that I must have the valet key since no trunk button. Well, this weekend I started to detail the car and found out that the metal key of the "smartkey" does not unlock the doors, trunk, or glove box. Thus do I need to take to the local dealership and get all locks replaced and then have "smartkey" made to match or can I have a "smartkey" made to match my current locks? Any idea how much this "learning experience" should cost?

The Lexus Dealer should provide you with a Smart Key replacement..at what cost I don't know..Any scheduled maintenance due? Maybe you can work out a discount.

Getting close to 20K and ready for an oil change but not major maintenance. How is it possible for a dealer to give a new smartkey that the metal key would fit the current glovebox and doors? As I stated the only key I have does not open anything, it simply starts the car.

According to Sewell Lexus, they cut a replacement full key bsed on Vin number so it should work. I understand that a special diagnostic tool that the dealers have is required to "mate" a new key with the car. Since you obviously didn't get the two normal keys Lexus supplies with a new LS 430, the dealer can also delete the keys you don't have from the cars memory at the same time.

According to Sewell Lexus, they cut a replacement full key bsed on Vin number so it should work. I understand that a special diagnostic tool that the dealers have is required to "mate" a new key with the car. Since you obviously didn't get the two normal keys Lexus supplies with a new LS 430, the dealer can also delete the keys you don't have from the cars memory at the same time.

Great news. Thank you for your insight.