Outside Temperature Sensor Slow To Change

Clyde

I have a 2004 LS430 with 25,000 miles on it. When I take car out of garage on a hot day the outside temperature sensor takes forever to rise to actual outside temperature. Often takes more than 15 miles or more than 30 minutes of driving to adjust during local driving (sometimes takes even longer). Had sensor replaced in June 2006 because of this. Did seem to respond quicker after that but was still quite slow at times. Even though the dealer changed the sensor then, they said that my outside temperature sensor and reading were working properly. Is doing the same thing this summer. Works fine in cold weather. Has anyone had any problems like this? Any tips?

I have a 2004 LS430 with 25,000 miles on it. When I take car out of garage on a hot day the outside temperature sensor takes forever to rise to actual outside temperature. Often takes more than 15 miles or more than 30 minutes of driving to adjust during local driving (sometimes takes even longer). Had sensor replaced in June 2006 because of this. Did seem to respond quicker after that but was still quite slow at times. Even though the dealer changed the sensor then, they said that my outside temperature sensor and reading were working properly. Is doing the same thing this summer. Works fine in cold weather. Has anyone had any problems like this? Any tips?

That's by design. DSP, Digital Signal Processing, is used to prevent the climate control from reacting to spurious OAT sensor signals, such as radiant heat from the nearby condensor/radiator when stopped or in stop and go traffic. More sensible design engineers simply relocate the sensor into the driver outside rear view mirror housing, but not the idiots at NipponDenso/Denso US.

My 92 LS was build before DSP was adopted so I moved my OAT sensor into the front of the passenger side front fender well to it couldn't be heated by the condensor/radiator.