Ebc Rotors And Pads

Reggie3

Has anyone installed EBC Rotors and pads on their RX? I have some questions if so

I purchased a set of EBC rotors (GD 7229)and pads(DP6628) for the 2001 Lexus RX-300. The stock pads have shims that are placed between the caliper piston and the pads - as well as the opposite pads have shim that is also used behind the pads.

I found I could not use these shims and still fit the new pads over your new rotor. I tried not using the shims but the sound I heard just driving around the block and coming to a slow stop seem to indicate that this setup may be right. But then too - I did not have a chance to bed the pads in. I took the EBCs off and put the OEMs back on and hope to hear from someone with experience on this install.

Should I be reusing those shims?

TIA

• 2 weeks later...

You need the stock shims. Those are anti-squeal shims designed for the caliper. When you pull out your old brake pads, use a turkey baster and pull a small amount of brake fluid from the reservior. Then use a c-clamp and a piece of wood and re-open the caliper all the way by squeezing it with the c-clamp. That will give you all the room and more to re-fit the anti-squeal shims and new brake pads in. ( I would also use some anti-squeal goop back there also for further protection from brake squeal.

• 2 weeks later...