Transmission

Lexuszeal

1990 LS400. When started drives fine, shifts good with careful attention to ease of acceleration. RPM guage doesnt work (stays below 0- <2000 range when driving). Cannot push accelerator hard or else major shuttering and no acceleration occurs. Recently changed No.2 speed sensor as it was throwing code and showing these symptoms. After replacing the sensor there are no CEL or Flashing O/D light indicators. Still having accelerating problems. Will drive ok UNTIL warmish about 3-5 minutes of driving at slow accelerations.. Then it stops driving "accelerating" and wont accelerate until I STOP the car, Turn it off for 20-25 seconds and restart. Then it operates normal, gets up to speed with out accelerating hard for another 1-5 minutes. I can continue this process to get where I need to go, BUT for how much longer?? Also I know its slipping when I drive because it rapidly shoots my rpms upwards of 3000+ which is relative to what I would consider redline, that again is b/c my rpms are way off!

FYI: 207,000 miles, I have had for 4 months constantly fixing something b/c of lack of maintenance from previous owners, The color of the tranny fluid looks like OIL!!

At the end of the week I am buying a case of Toyota Type IV fluid to flush and replenish- also cleaning the screen filter. I feel like this could be causing my problems however why would I be able to stop and restart my car and it operates "normally" until it slips again.

Maybe the torque converter going bad??

take it to a reputible tranny shop, do not take it to a regular repair shop,get a second or third oppinion if need be by several tranny shops

• 5 months later...

In the end I flushed my tranmission completely with Toyota Type IV transmission fluid. There was quite a bit of metal blocking the screen that did not allow fluid to flow through it after driving for a short time. Cleaned all this out and flushed, then replenished and topped off with Toyota Type IV Transmission fluid and have had no problems since.. runs like new! ;)

In the end I flushed my tranmission completely with Toyota Type IV transmission fluid. There was quite a bit of metal blocking the screen that did not allow fluid to flow through it after driving for a short time. Cleaned all this out and flushed, then replenished and topped off with Toyota Type IV Transmission fluid and have had no problems since.. runs like new! ;)

Hi Lexuszeal,

I am happy for you! I have not had the trouble you had, but I have tranny shifting problems until the engine has run for at least 30 minutes, and even then I don't have reverse until the car has been run hard for a while. Can you tell me how difficult it was to clean the filter and flush the system? Also, which side is the sensor #2 on, as I want to change the one on my car (1992)?

Thanks

Cleaning the filter involves removing the transmission pan. Be careful when prying the pan b/c the seal will be very strong and you do not want to damage any part of the pan. After removal you will see the screen and be able to remove the filter with just a few screws. Clean this part out with a hose or otherwise. Also clean the pan and all other parts from any metal debree you may find. You can now reseal the pan with high temperature red seal or a gasket if they make one.. After drying you can flush the transmission. This is relatively simple and I believe you can find the tutorial here http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/transmissio...sflush.html---- this is how I flushed my system. It is likely that your tranmission is experiencing these problems by improper use of the correct fluid.. It is very neccessary and important that you use only Toyota Type IV transmission fluid from the toyota dealer.. you can buy a case for a discounted price too. Do this so you have extra for the flush. And lastly if I remember correctly the speed sensor I had to change "#2" is on the drivers side of the transmission. Its a fairly cheap sensor from the dealer and easy to change.

Cleaning the filter involves removing the transmission pan. Be careful when prying the pan b/c the seal will be very strong and you do not want to damage any part of the pan. After removal you will see the screen and be able to remove the filter with just a few screws. Clean this part out with a hose or otherwise. Also clean the pan and all other parts from any metal debree you may find. You can now reseal the pan with high temperature red seal or a gasket if they make one.. After drying you can flush the transmission. This is relatively simple and I believe you can find the tutorial here http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/transmissio...sflush.html---- this is how I flushed my system. It is likely that your tranmission is experiencing these problems by improper use of the correct fluid.. It is very neccessary and important that you use only Toyota Type IV transmission fluid from the toyota dealer.. you can buy a case for a discounted price too. Do this so you have extra for the flush. And lastly if I remember correctly the speed sensor I had to change "#2" is on the drivers side of the transmission. Its a fairly cheap sensor from the dealer and easy to change.

Lexuszeal,

Thank you very much for the info. I will try this, and flushing, since I have the fluid, and the sealant.