Looking For Opinions On My Options

cmshoot

I'm getting new tires this week for my 2000 LS400. I need to get them at Discount Tire, because I have a store credit there from my last set of tires. I'm looking at P225/60-R-16 tires. I'm in Georgia, so snow and ice aren't a real concern. I do drive hard and like my performance, but I need something that's gonna last (I don't have the $ to buy new tires every year).

Looking for any experience (good or bad) on the following:

1. Goodyear Assurance TripleTred, 80,000 mile warranty, HR speed rated. I like the warranty on these tires, but don't know how the performance is.

2. Michelin Primacy MXV4, 60,000 mile warranty, HR speed rated. I've always like Michelins. The warranty isn't as good as the TripleTred, but it seems to be a more "sport" oriented tire

3. Goodyear Eagle ResponsEdge, 50,000 mile warranty, HR speed rated, carbon fiber reinforced sidewall

BTW, the tires that I am replacing are Yokohama YK520's. I loved the tires, they handled great wet and dry (some of the best wet weather tires I have ever used), weren't too loud, and they looked sharp. Only problem is, I barely got 30,000 miles out of them, although they have a 60,000 mile warranty. Discount Tire gave me $50 per tire off my next set of tires. As long as I keep getting 50% off the Yokohama's, I'm tempted to stick with them.

Thanks for the input, y'all.

I'm getting new tires this week for my 2000 LS400. I need to get them at Discount Tire, because I have a store credit there from my last set of tires. I'm looking at P225/60-R-16 tires. I'm in Georgia, so snow and ice aren't a real concern. I do drive hard and like my performance, but I need something that's gonna last (I don't have the $ to buy new tires every year).

Looking for any experience (good or bad) on the following:

1. Goodyear Assurance TripleTred, 80,000 mile warranty, HR speed rated. I like the warranty on these tires, but don't know how the performance is.

2. Michelin Primacy MXV4, 60,000 mile warranty, HR speed rated. I've always like Michelins. The warranty isn't as good as the TripleTred, but it seems to be a more "sport" oriented tire

3. Goodyear Eagle ResponsEdge, 50,000 mile warranty, HR speed rated, carbon fiber reinforced sidewall

BTW, the tires that I am replacing are Yokohama YK520's. I loved the tires, they handled great wet and dry (some of the best wet weather tires I have ever used), weren't too loud, and they looked sharp. Only problem is, I barely got 30,000 miles out of them, although they have a 60,000 mile warranty. Discount Tire gave me $50 per tire off my next set of tires. As long as I keep getting 50% off the Yokohama's, I'm tempted to stick with them.

Thanks for the input, y'all.

I have Goodyear Response Edge 205/60 16 VR tires on my 2001 ES300. After experimenting with inflations I settled on 30 PSI. There was no drop in MPG with these tires which is typically 28 highway. My driving is 80% Interstate at 70+MPH and 20% winding secondary roads. I would say I'm a "spirited" driver...maybe even aggressive. After 8,000 miles here are my humble thoughts;

1) These are sometimes advertised as a "Touring" tire....IMHO they are more "Performance" than "Touring". Cornering is predictable and stable...no float, wash or roll. I would call it "tight". Realizing the ES is not a sports car, with these tires you can still push it pretty hard on the winding country roads of New York State's North Country.

2) The ride is not as comfortable as I expected and wanted. Plan on feeling every bump, crack or imperfection in the highway. If you're willing to trade ride for performance the you won't care.

3) Steering on dry roads is sudden especially at interstate speeds. The car responds immediately when the wheel is turned and there is no forgiveness.

4) Driving on loose gravel/stones, open grated bridges, gusty winds or puddled water during rain requires both hands on the wheel and your full attention in order to maintain a straight track. Rain and winds at Interstate speeds can be a real adventure.

I drive my Outback or Explorer in the winter so these tires won't see snow...it's probably just as well.

My wife's 1998 ES has 205/60 15 HR Michelin Pilot Exalto's and I believe them to be a better balance of comfort and performance.

I would not buy these tires again and some days I'm actually tempted to scrap them now. My son has Yokohama Avid's on his BMW which he really likes...so I may try them next.

Hope this helps....

Good Luck

The reason you probably didn't get the full rated life is that you live in a very warm region year round. Also your driving habits play a big role in it. Very few people ever see the full rated life of tires.

I would stay away from 80,000 mile tires unless you are solely budget minded. Generally speaking, tread life is traded for performance. the compound of the tire is hardened to make it last longer. Harder compounds get less traction. So it really depends on your needs.

From the list of tires you have here, Goodyear Eagle responce edges are the best ones you have listed. If your going to get Michelin's, don't mess around, get the Pilots. they are one of the best tires out right now. Second would be the Perelli P6000 Powergy. Those ride very nice and perform great. But if your really wanting a comfortable tire that performs well and has a tread warrentee, then I would say the Bridgestone Potenza RE 92. Kind of the middle of the road compromise tire. All these I already know come in your size. So you can pick. Me? I would go with the Pilots. But I like performance.