Just To Clarify Re: Detailing

After paint is clear of foreign materials I should:

1) Polish the car

and then

2) Wax the car

My car is brand new, haven't had it a week yet, but this coming weekend I want to get it detailed real good. I have generally either polished the car or waxed it, I have never done both at the same time.

Thanks,

r7

Inspect the car first before the finish is touched. Look for swirl marks, scratches, and maybe "orange peel". Apparently Lexus details the car before delivery but if an inexperienced person did the detailing there may be damage or marks on the clear coat. If you have not worked on the finish then you can complain at the dealership. That gets it on the record.

Then try using a Zaino clay bar on the finish to remove any and all foreign matter. After that, a waxing should be enough. I use Turtle Wax ICE because it is fast, has a nice shine, doesn't build up or leave white residue, can be used on plastic or rubber, and is no effort at all to apply and remove.

Check out Consumers Reports for their rating of standard waxes if longevity is an issue for you.

If by "polish" you mean a wax with a slight bit of abrasive, that has a different use.

You should get a lot of good suggestions from the experts in this forum.