Lexus Sc N00b Here!

vipastyle

Hey guys. New to the forums. Let me explain a little. I've wanted a Honda Prelude since I was 13. I am now 15 and know a lot about Hondas. Only reason I went for Honda is because I've worked on a lot of them and they're in my price range. I was looking through the latest Import Tuner magazine and was reading about Lexus SC300's. I saw that the Kelley Blue Book price (for 92-95) was $8k-$12k. I have always loved the SC's but always thought they were somewhere around $20k+. Now I want an SC. My parents drive Lexus' and I know how good quality they are and how long they last. My mom is at 160k miles with no problems. And the name Lexus is just above all else. I'm paying for my whole car and have about $7,500 saved up but I can make payments because I have a steady job. I am asking for your suggestion about what to buy. I want power but of course style, ladies love luxury right. Only set back is I pay for insurance, how much is insurance for a 16 y/o kid with a Lexus SC300? So I'm asking you, should I get the SC? How much power are does normal bolt-ons add (i/h/c/e)? Also, is a turbo setup available for the SC300? Thank you in advance. :D

Couple more questions, what are the specs of the SC including interior (leather, etc.). Also, is a swap required to get any real power out of the SC300? Finally, what is the stock engine code? I know you can swap the stock V6 for a 2JZ but is it worth it? Thank you.

Cliff notes:

I'm 15 and want an SC300. I have $7500 to spend and can make payments. I am paying for insurance. No help from parents. If I don't get SC300 I'll get a Prelude.

BTW, I must have a manual transmission car!! :D

And mileage won't matter if I get a swap. :D But I'm guessing a 2JZ engine is harder to come by then a H-series engine. :( And why are there so many auto SC300's? Can I do a tranny swap??

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...ct=ST&f=3&t=84&

SC300 should have more insurance costs than prelude, but I'm not postive on that. You should let your parents register for the car and they pay for insurance and say that you're a secondary driver that only drives 2 miles to school.

The manual transmission sc300 are from 92-97 (not sure of 97). In my opinion, I'd go with a 95 (or whatever the year with obd I; 94,93,92)

I don't know what stock engine code means but I'm guessing it's the 2jz-ge engine and the whole car is the jzz31. The 2jz-ge engine is inline-6 with cast iron block with alluminum alloy cylinder heads and pistons. It is rated at 225 hp and 210 ft-lbs torque.

There is a website: www.planetsoarer.com that has information on making your own ~$15 intake. Many people including me say it is the best intake possible. The only headers I've found are from Xerd and someone on this forum said someone had bad experience with it on a supra (same engine). I don't know what "c" is in "i/h/c/e" but I'm guessing it's cam gears, not sure on that one. Exhaust would help but I think the 2jz-ge engine was designed mainly for the stock exhaust (the sc pipe has two 5 mm pipes after the cat).

There are turbo availible for sc300. There is the engine swap to 2jz-gte (supra tt) which will be around $11,000. There is the turbo kit which is about $5000 for parts and you might need fuel injectors too. There is also a 1jz-gte engine that is a Japanese market 2.5 liter twin turbo and marketed on the japanese version of the sc300. That swap I would only do if you absolutely needed to lighten up the front end of the car. The 1jz is not going to pass smog in california and there won't be many parts to fix the engine if it breaks.

If you can't get the sc300, you should get the prelude type sh. That's because the the ATTS system that helps reduce the understeering of the car. If you don't get the type sh, you basically have a good looking integra. The advantage of the prelude over sc is that prelude is lighter in weight and better gas mileage. The advantage of sc over prelude is that sc is more luxurious, rear wheel drive, and higher top speed (like that matters). The prelude and sc300 accelerate at pretty much the same speed of low 7 seconds.

manual sc300's are going to be harder to find than manual preludes. Transmission swaps, in my opinion, are not worth it because with those thousands of dollars changing the transmission you might as well go ahead and buy a plane ticket to find a 5-speed sc300.

Wow, that expensive for mods. I guess I'll be going with the Prelude. :( And I know pretty much everything about ludes and I like the base much better than SH. But that doesn't matter because I'm pretty sure I only have enough money for a 4th gen (92-96) which has Si (non-VTEC, Si4WS (4 wheel steering), and the VTEC model. I'm definitely getting the H22 engine (VTEC) so that's not a problem. I was really looking forward to becoming a frequent user here but I just don't have that kind of money. *sigh* Well thank you very much for all your help and information. :D :D

Wow, that expensive for mods. I guess I'll be going with the Prelude. :( And I know pretty much everything about ludes and I like the base much better than SH. But that doesn't matter because I'm pretty sure I only have enough money for a 4th gen (92-96) which has Si (non-VTEC, Si4WS (4 wheel steering), and the VTEC model. I'm definitely getting the H22 engine (VTEC) so that's not a problem. I was really looking forward to becoming a frequent user here but I just don't have that kind of money. *sigh* Well thank you very much for all your help and information. :D :D

Welcome to the club. Well, you don't have to get the Prelude. I still recommend the SC because you can stand out in a crowd (of Hondas), but you must be patient getting this car. Everything can be expensive since this is a NA-Turbo Toyota Supra (luxury'd). I would recommend you wait, and find a 5speed. It may take a while, but it's worth waiting for.

If I was still in your position, I would get the SC over my G20, and make small modifications to the block. Start with Intake, headers, and exhaust. That should boost the Stock SC with an extra 11.8 bhp(Dyno'd on a warm day) and set you back a little over a Grand, if you don't install the mods yourself.

The GTE engine is your final engine, once you've reached 25, and are ready to break STI and EVO owners. Perhaps a few Ferrari owners as well

welcome. comming from my experience, i would go with an SC. i have a 93 5-speed and i got it a year ago when I was only 17. i found it on ebay, and only paid $7,000. yeah it had 132,000 miles on it, but like you said, they last for ever. the car is in pretty good shape, the leather only has a few flaws, and there is only one small dent in the door. they are hard to find with a 5-speed, but its worth the wait. also, if you have patience, and get to know the right people, you can get lucky and get a good deal on either a bolt on turbo kit, of a slightly used supra tt engine (2jz-gte). dont waste your money on a honda. we would like for you top be able to stay here. good luck, and do the right thing.

oh yeah, as far as insurance...im still under my parents policy with allstate, and with liability and comprehensive (basically everything but collision), i only pay a bit over $100 a month. the SC is definately worth it. :D