Need Advice For Original Yokohama Tires

DUSKBLUE

Hello to all,

New guy here and found your site very educational. Athough I don't get to drive my wifes GS300 to often (I'm stuck with the 00' expedition)

I do enjoy it when I do drive it.

This is the problem with the 06 GS300, it has the original Yokohama Advan tires and the car only has apx 13,500 miles on it and yes the tires are nearly bald.

The car has a serious handling problem where it feels like the car is going in every direction but the way you point it. probably due to being very low tread.

I do have an appointment next week for the dealer to take a look but figured i can get some quick advice from here.

Does this premature wear seem normal with these tires or even a common thing and should the dealer be reposible with the replacements

I mean you would think we should get atleast 20k miles from new tires that come equipped on a $50k car????

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

DUSKBLUE, Short tread life can occur from the following:

1. Summer tire... tread life is short

2. Tire Alignment...when buying new tires

3. Not Rotating the Tires...3000 miles

4. Low Air pressure...check 1 a month

5. Out of balance

Look at this link below to determine the tire wear you are experiencing.

http://www.keisters.com/Abbreviations%20Pa...earproblems.htm

• 2 weeks later...

I can sympathize with you. I have a 07 GS350 with OEM Yoko Advan A10B, which only have 11,500 mile on them. When I bought the car new, there was a tiny sticker in the window that in essence stated that even with proper care, if you got 20,000 miles out of them, you were doing very good. While mine do not have the wear issues - 6/32nd left at 10,000 mile service, mine have excessive noise coming from them. They sound like offroad truck tires they're that bad. I'm taking the car in to the dealership today to have them assess the tires. Hopefully, they will agree with the noise that I hear is loud and excessive offering replacement under warranty. IMO, Lexus should have choosen a longer lasting, better performing tire.

• 8 months later...

I experienced the same issue as you, but it didn't show until 15k miles. The response I got from the dealer was the tires were "feathered" and while I still have plenty of wear left on the tires at 22k miles the noisy ride is really irritating. I was pondering replacing them with other tires and after reading these postings I am definitely going that route.

• 2 months later...
I experienced the same issue as you, but it didn't show until 15k miles. The response I got from the dealer was the tires were "feathered" and while I still have plenty of wear left on the tires at 22k miles the noisy ride is really irritating. I was pondering replacing them with other tires and after reading these postings I am definitely going that route.

I'm about to take my 06 GS300 in for the 20K service. The Yoko Advans are so loud it drives me crazy, they have plenty of tread left and the car handles fine. Has anyone had any warranty luck with this issue? I can't see spending money on replacing tires on a 50K car at this point.

Thanks, Jon V

• 1 month later...

As for warranty on the Advans,most times you're not going to get it. The Advans are actually good tires just extremly noisy and it all depends on how you drive. I have personally seen the Advans last over 20K Miles but with some road noise not extremly irritating but none the less noisy. For most 01 up GS customers by 15K Miles need front brakes and four tires and thats just a common thing.

In order to deliver the best handling the time in which tires wear out have to be comprimised, just thank god that you guys dont own a SC :P

The few times I've used Yokohama, great when they are new , when they are about half gone the noise starts. Then when they are allmost wore out it's like youre riding on a freight train, with the shaking, the rumble and the noise that sounds like if all the wheel bearings are shot. Try another tire brand.

And the car was properly aligned, balanced and tires rotated.