1uz-fe Engine Type

wandawoods

I now have a full set of 92 shop manuals and even they don't mention the engine is or is not interference. From the timing belt replacement procedure it appears it is not, but I can't be sure.

In Canada the t-belt is replaced at 96k kilometers.

I now have a full set of 92 shop manuals and even they don't mention the engine is or is not interference. From the timing belt replacement procedure it appears it is not, but I can't be sure.

In Canada the t-belt is replaced at 96k kilometers.

96K KM (60K miles)!? is it because of the freezing winter condition so you have to change TB this frequently?

other than 94 LS400, I also own a 96 SC400. I think they have the same non-interferece 1uz-fe engine, and I was told 90K miles is the factory recommendation for TB repalcement. can anyone confirm this?

thanks for the response.

I had another look in the manual, and it states 96k kilometers, or 60k miles. It is not a climatic thing, and besides I live on the west coast and it ain't that cold here. Sort of like Seattle.

The shop manuals for my 93 LS also say 60K but one dealer told me the shop is using 90K now since they have not seen appreciable wear in any belt pulled even up to 120k. He claims this is system wide (how would we know?) Obviously I can't confirm this, but only report what I heard frome ONE source.

Phil

brough my 94 LS400 to lexus dealer for gerneral check-out, and got a confirmation for service dept that it's a non-interference engine. broken timing belt will NOT destroy engine internally and no bent volves.

but I've made up my mind to change TB anyway.... but not at dealer though! they want $1200 for the job including belt+water pump+pulleys+labor