1991 Lexus Ls400 Fuel/air Issues

sisterpete

hi,

i'm new here, but it looks like this is the place to be. my 1991 ls400 will run just fine, and then other times, it will barely run at all. when it is acting up, this is the symptoms. it will be idling fine, then it will act as if it is going to die, then race up to about 2000 rpm's and then do it all over again.... over and over, sometimes actually dying.

acts like it's not getting enough fuel, or maybe too much and choking out????? we changed the fuel filter, and also checked the fuel pressure according to info we found in a lexus book at the library. the fuel pressure was up around 50-60 and following the directions, found out the fuel pressure regulator was bad. change that out and the fuel pressure is now down about 30-35, can't remember for sure, but where it's suppose to be.

still the problem persists! after jumping pins Te1 and E1, watching the check engine light, we are getting two engine codes.

24 - intake air temp sensor signal

31 - air flow meter signal

we also checked the impedence of the air flow meter. it was 1495k ohms at an outside tempature of 78F. we checked it a few times, and at one point it was at 2200k ohms.....

any ideas would be great. is the air flow meter bad? and where is the intake air temp sensor, and is it bad?

one other thing as a side note... when we also noticed the o/d off light flashing with this code...

63 - open or short circuit in no. 2 solenoid valve.

any idea what this is about?

thanks for your time.... i am not much of a mechanic, but have a buddy that is so i figure if we know what to fix, we can do it. just don't have a bunch of money to spend taking this to a shop right now.

one other thing, my buddy notices a lot of what looks like steam coming from the exhaust... like i said, it was 78F out, but it was exceptionally moist tonight, sooooooo.......... and it's about 4am....

the car smells like is is running very rich.

once again, thanks for any help you may give

1- error code 31: your VAF (volume air flow) meter's resistance is amazingly high, if you got the reading at the right terminals (THA and E2) it needs to be replaced

2- error code 24: intake air temp sensor is placed inside VAF, check instructions attached

post-37789-1181096334_thumb.jpg

post-37789-1181097343_thumb.jpg

1- error code 31: your VAF (volume air flow) meter's resistance is amazingly high, if you got the reading at the right terminals (THA and E2) it needs to be replaced

2- error code 24: intake air temp sensor is placed inside VAF, check instructions attached

yes, i used THA and E2 for my check... however, let me clarify better.....

when i put 1495k it probably should have read 1.5k maybe? anyway, under the 2-3k that the book specs at 68F, i got that reading at 78F, so i don't really know if that's ok or not.

i wll take a look at the intake sensor, thanks for the attachments.

llooking at your second attachment, it seems that the intake air temp sensor and the volume airflow meater is the same thing???? so i'm guessing to replace the temp sensor is to replace the VAF?

i guess you should measure VAF resistance again (make sure the unit is correct) if the reading falls between spec range then VAF is ok

i dont know for sure if VAF and air temp sensor can be replaced individually, you may want to verify that with a lexus dealer

i guess you should measure VAF resistance again (make sure the unit is correct) if the reading falls between spec range then VAF is ok

i dont know for sure if VAF and air temp sensor can be replaced individually, you may want to verify that with a lexus dealer

will do, thanks

• 2 years later...

I am having the same problem with the Idle, the car will start up and run great for a few minutes then the idle will start dieing the jump back up.

Did you every find out what was wrong and does it run fine now? My climate control LCD doesnt work so I cant see what codes are popping up.

First I checked the Vacuum lines then the wiring but I found nothing wrong that could cause this. So I was thinking it was fuel related.

Please let me know what the problem was and how to fix it.

Thank you

the code for the solenoid no.2 valve means that the valve is not functioning properly. If you remove it, (it is in the transmission pan) you may clean it and it will mostly work again. If not, it is a $150 part.