First Service Question

I was taught to change your oil at 500 miles and then every 3000. When I picked up my IS350 two days ago the Dealership told me that i was not supposed to change my oil for 5,000 miles, because of special adatives in the oil. Something about not changing my oil for the first 5,000 miles scares me.

Has anyone else been told this? Would it hurt the engine if I didnt follow there steps?

Thanks,

Joe

bartkat,

I just picked up my IS 350 a couple days ago and was told my first service should be at 1000 miles, then oil changes at 5k intervals, but he said sooner is ok too. I will probably do it at 4k, but that's just me. I don't know if your guy told you first service at 1k or not, but I'm doing what my sales guy tells me to do :)

Jeff.

Yes there's a 1000 mile inspection but we were only talking oil change here.

Where did you find a 1K mile inspection in the maintenance schedule? What needs to be inspected? The first listed service I see on the official schedule is the 5K mile service.

Dealer provided a certificate for it. It's a post delivery inspection. I had them adjust the headlights and make a change in the personal settings. It's pretty much to check owner satisfaction and fix any details that weren't caught at delivery or came up after you drove the car awhile.

But what I was saying was that 1000 mile inspection does not call for an oil change.