I Am An Idiot

Got my IS350 a month ago. I park outside and the car has been a bit dirty. Without thinking, I selected "yes" to the car wash offer from the Shell station. The next day, I realized that the coating is pretty much scartched! Lots of scratches, especially the hood. The color is SGM so its not that much visible. Am I F*%ed? Or are they anti-scartch applicants for this? Is it worth repainting?

Got my IS350 a month ago. I park outside and the car has been a bit dirty. Without thinking, I selected "yes" to the car wash offer from the Shell station. The next day, I realized that the coating is pretty much scartched! Lots of scratches, especially the hood. The color is SGM so its not that much visible. Am I F*%ed? Or are they anti-scartch applicants for this? Is it worth repainting?

Are the scratches that deep to need a repaint? The clear coat on the IS is really soft and scratches very easily, but most will probably polish out with a swirl buster polish like the one marketed by Sonus. You'll need a polisher though..Porter Cable or better...have a look at the Autopia site.

Are the scratches that deep to need a repaint? The clear coat on the IS is really soft and scratches very easily, but most will probably plish out with a swirl buster polish like the one marketed by Sonus. You'll need a polisher though..Porter Cable or better...have a look at the Autopia site.

Wow thanks! I'll check it out. Nope, the scratches are not that deep, just the surface of the clear coat. Hopefully I won't F up when I polish it...

If you are that worried about doing the work yourself just ask the Lexus dealership to buff out the scratches the next time you are in for service. Most likely they will do it free of charge, but will obviously depend on the dealership. If not just bring it to a trusted body shop and they'll do it for a decent price since it doesn't involve painting it shouldn't cost you that much.

On a side note, my car was damaged in a car wash where the "touchless" broke and the arm of it went up the passenger side of my car. The carwash place paid for the damages, most of which was simply buffing out the scratches and some slight touch up work. The dif. being that I filled out the report while I was there and could prove my case... you might have a harder time doing that.

If you are that worried about doing the work yourself just ask the Lexus dealership to buff out the scratches the next time you are in for service. Most likely they will do it free of charge, but will obviously depend on the dealership. If not just bring it to a trusted body shop and they'll do it for a decent price since it doesn't involve painting it shouldn't cost you that much.

On a side note, my car was damaged in a car wash where the "touchless" broke and the arm of it went up the passenger side of my car. The carwash place paid for the damages, most of which was simply buffing out the scratches and some slight touch up work. The dif. being that I filled out the report while I was there and could prove my case... you might have a harder time doing that.

Don't kill yourself over it. I did the same thing with my 06 Honda. I took it to a car wash after having the front end rebuilt after a crash. They hadn't cleaned the car and it was covered with dirt (actually grime) - thing got scratched a lot. (Which also reminds me to say Herb Chambers sucks on so many levels I don't think I could even begin to list them....sorry side-tracked!) Was able to buff out. Did teach me a lesson on any car wash that uses brushes - always go touchless - also to always have a good coat of wax on the car. This time right after I got the Lexus I put a coat of was on it.