DaimlerChrysler Is No More...

SW03ES

Dodge and Jeep will survive and continue to prosper in what will have to be significantly smaller and leaner enterprises than they are today. They will probably be sold separately to other interests, perhaps four or five years from now. But I predict that the Chrysler brand will disappear, just as the Plymouth brand did a few years back.

The future of the American automobile is very much in doubt these days. How I would hate to have to earn my livelihood dependent upon the sinking industries in Detroit....

I hope so, the Jeeps sell so well and are such a huge part of the American landcape I'd hate to see them go.

The Chrysler Brand will continue.....guaranteed! :unsure:

I don't know, this company is EXTREMELY poorly financed and they have enormous pension liabilities on top of ever reducing market share. Outside of the Jeep line, I personally don't see anything worth saving. Even Dodge. Well, Dodge has truck sales...but Chrysler, what do they have? The 300. Their minivans are archaic next to the new Japanese vans, no strong SUVs, a few smaller cars that sell to business and rental fleets and thats it.

Jeep will survive and prosper because of its heritage, off-road capabilities, and worldwide customer base.

Dodge will survive (but possibly not prosper) because of its trucks.

Chrysler probably will not survive as a brand. It simply doesn't have a strong product mix any longer, and given the shape of American automobile companies today, it will be extremely difficult to rebuild such a product mix.

There's no question that Jeep and Dodge will eventually be sold to other interests, probably separately and to different enterprises. But those events won't take place for a number of years yet. The surviving divisions must be brought back to acceptable financial health first, and that's going to take some time.

Ford faces just as dour a future, and while GM seems to have made some progress towards cost-cutting and potential future profitability (albeit in a much smaller existence), their jury is still out as well.

As I said before, the American automotive industry remains in dire straights. These companies' salad days are long behind them, and I believe that the only chance they have to return to prominence is to throw their efforts completely towards hydrogen-fueled vehicles and be the first to bring working and affordable models to the worldwide stage. Of course, many challenges of getting a hydrogen fueling infrastructure designed and functional here in the U.S. remain to be solved, and GM must stay in the game long enough to get there. Unless some monumental technological breakthroughs are on the verge of occuring right now, we're probably talking at least another 10 to 12 years....

hydrogen will not work for the Americans. When was the last time that they invented something and brought it mainstream before the japanese? lol

there is another flaw in having them get into hydrogen too. Its that bmw and Honda claim they can get it to us first, by late 2008. We here in California have the most hydrogen stations than any other state. Its going to happen, but its not going to be mainstream till maybe 2020.

I dont think that they need to work on hydrogen. They need to do everything else before that. The factors that made the japanese and the europeans strong competitors was their craftsmanship, quality, and service (well not MB). THe thing is, people are now seeing that for just a little bit more money, they could get a car that will stay working for a very long time. Im not saying Americans cars wont run nor provide the same quality, cause Ford is picking up, but that American image is still there.

fix the company image and everything will fall in place.

The problem is, even if they can get everything to fall into place they all still have this unbelievably huge pension and retiree burden they have to carry.

I find it very interesting to watch these results from the late 90's "merge-fanatic" coporations who were chasing the stock market day-trader craze moreso than focussing on the products. I think we're all in for a show soon, as these automakers begin to unwind the ball of mergings and let the designers get back to what they do best...which was design. Who will stand, and who will fall is a crap-shoot if you ask me. I agree with SWO on the massive pensions and such for the american auto worker. But, I think that is a nationwide issue for all manufactoring companies. Which touches on a very touchy subject of Union's involvements. I can say from experience, both on the union side "former Teamster w/n the movie business", and on the financing side "union labor expenses on hotel operations", is it's a two-sided sword. Nonetheless, it is the biggest expense to deal with, and I think we're going to begin to see a lot of political jaw-jabbin' about it in the coming election. I will say this however, I do not feel someone who took the burden of massive student loan debt to eductate themselves to become lawyers, doctors, financial experts, architects, etc.... should have thier buying power diluted because some union shopsteward insists on his flock having the same hourly wage, or they will go on strike. I don't know, it's a tricky thing, and even moreso when you're talking about people's livelihood and financial security.

Will Chrystler survive? The "fireball V8" and original minivan outfit? Yes, no question about it in my mind. I think Chrystler has been hiding on the asset side of others' balance sheets for many years, and robbing the snack bar at the Mercedes shop. Now it's time to see if they learned anything, and come out with some competitive cars. They do have some nice ones out now, but starting to show their ages.

In terms of the American car maker, I stick to my original outlook....... be ready for the return!

I agree with SWO on the massive pensions and such for the american auto worker. But, I think that is a nationwide issue for all manufactoring companies.

All AMERICAN manufacturing companies. Not just manufacturing companies either, airlines etc all have the same problem. This puts us at an almost insurmountable disadvantage when competing with foreign companies even in our own country.

Which touches on a very touchy subject of Union's involvements. I can say from experience, both on the union side "former Teamster w/n the movie business", and on the financing side "union labor expenses on hotel operations", is it's a two-sided sword.

Unions have ruined these businesses. Nothing touchy about that, its a fact. I can certainly understand the need for the worker to be represented, especially in the light of all the abuse that goes on. However, the things these unions have railroaded these companies into agreeing with are just not feasibly possible. We're starting to see the effects of this "agree to anything now to keep the company afloat and we'll deal with it later" mentality these companies had. What they should have done is fired all these people when they tried to pull this stuff in the first place. Asking a company to take care of an employee and his family FOREVER is not reasonable.

Look, here's the situation. People are living longer and longer than ever before. My projected lifespan for instance is probably 100-110 years old (I am 26 now). I have my retirement and investment portfolio designed for us to retire at age 60 and to support us for another 60 years at a yearly income of what would be the equivelent buying power of $250,000 per year today. Now, even at this age in my life that requires a huge investment of money by me now, but I am smart enough to know that the only person who is going to look out for me when I retire is me. No social security, no pensions, just me.

These pension plans are designed around people retiring at 62-65 and living another 10-15 years, then their spouses living a few more years than that and thats it. The reality is, at 65 even people in not so great health have MANY years left to live with ever increasing medical costs that these companies are also subsidizing int he form of medicare supplimental plans etc. This is just not possible, theres no way a company like Ford can pay its current employees, design and R&D new products, market, run its business, compete while paying for EVERYONE who ever worked there AND their spouse to live! Forget competing with much trimmer japanese companies with no such obligations...

Its simply absurd. The question is what can be done about it. You can't pull the rug out from under these people because they need that money to live, things can't go on the way they are, its just an intolerable situation...

After my last experience with a Chrysler('96 Cirrus) I won't miss the brand. It was the biggest P.O.S. I ever owned. We bought it new, and it was nothing but down hill afterwards. Flakey quality, rode like a truck, and very poor dealer support. We dumped it 3 years ago, traded for a very dependable '92 Subaru Loyale. Probably will be the last domestic car I'll ever own.