Buying Ls460

If anybody has bought a 2007 LS460 this Question is for you.

For the MSRP of 73,702... What is a decent Purchase Price?

I have an offer of 71,500 locally, and about 100 miles away for 70K...

Invoice is 63,217... So close to 7K over invoice seems steep, but then again most dealership dont have more than 2 or 3 of these.

Has anybody bought this car for under 70K?

Thank you...

We bought a silver over black LS460 last Friday for $64,857 (sticker price of $72,901). We feel like we got a good deal. This was a cash deal - we sold our 2001 LS430 to a co-worker for $22,000 and bought chromed Lexus wheels and an extended warranty with the delta over what the dealer was going to give us.

This was from one of the three Denver dealers. They have a unique circumstance that is prompting them to accept any reasonable offers.

Gorgeous car. We're still learning how to operate all the stuff. The old car had only the ML stereo as a option.

[silver] Bullitt

Wow, thats an amazing deal! Was that through a buying service or did you negotiate that deal from a dealer on your own?

We talked with a buying service and the best they could do was $2000 off the MSRP. We negotiated the deal ourselves.

We had an unusual situation that probably frustrated the dealer to no end. My wife got a good chunk of money from the sale of her deceased parent's home and we were waiting for the closing to happen and money to be transferred to our bank account. If it weren't for the inheritance, we wouldn't even be looking at a new car, to say nothing of a new LS460. So going in, we told the salesman in no uncertain terms that we would not sign anything until the money showed up (we certainly could not afford the payments on the new car; the 2001 was bought used and was the limit of our budget then).

We took a week off work for general R&R at home and to look for a new car. We figured we would end up with an LS460 because we take long driving trips and need supreme comfort and good trunk space. But we did shop around at the luxury car level - BMW 5xx, Audi A6, Volvo S80, Acura RL, Infinity M45, Cadillac DTS. A few test drives and mostly just sitting the cars eliminated all of them (even at $20K less money). We were undecided on the color combo and were shopping all three dealers to see who had what.

The dealer we bought from the first time was a little aloof. I guess he figured he had a lock on a new deal but didn't have a color combo that was a "must have". The dealer closest to us was a brand new branch of the other dealer in town and they were nice enough but weren't real eager to deal. $2000 off list was about all they were going to do (we figured that was typical). They also didn't have a car that WOWed us but could bring one in if we could decide on colors and equipment.

The third dealer really impressed us. The salesman was high energy (fetching bottled water, running to get keys, etc). We spotted the silver/black combo and really liked it. We weren't thinking about a silver exterior since the current car was silver. We weren't thinking about a black interior because light colors make the inside look larger and black tends to make the interior hot on some cars (at least, based on experience with the black vinyl in our '67 GTO).

Once we saw the silver/black we fell for it right away. The salesman offered a test drive but we had driven cars at the other dealers already. "Well, let's go in the showroom and talk about it". He drove us to the front door in the car (sales trick #1 :rolleyes:)

We chatted a bit and he got down to it. "We will consider any reasonable offer. What can we put down?"

We mentioned agian that we weren't going to buy until the money was safe in our bank. "No problem, let's just see what we can do with numbers." We also weren't sure if we were going to trade the '01 LS430 or sell it privately (the co-worker was still undecided - fancy car or put kids through college...)

I knew the Internet invoice of the base car was about $53K and we had $10K worth of options. Making a wild guess and looking for a reasonable low number that would stop the sales process in it's tracks, I offered $64,000. He was, of course, shocked but indicated we had done our homework. I even signed the informal 64K offer, figuring "No way".

After a bit, he brought the sales manager back with him and we sat down to talk. I was surprised we were face-to-face with the "mysterious sales manager" and was again impressed with their methods. He brought back a counter offer of $64,857. We were shocked. We would have signed right there if the money was in the bank (this was Tuesday and we were still waiting - the house closed the previous Friday and there was the 72-hour grace period to deal with).

We bantered back and forth a little, countering various closing strategies. "What can we do to put you in the car?" "Money is not in the bank". He even came up with "You don't want to be spending a lot of time dickering - let's get you in that car!" "We took the week off work just to dicker." "Oh". It was all very pleasent - he guessed we knew all the tricks and even joked about them. Us: "Don't let the customer out the front door is against the law, right?" "Well, not agaisnt the law but a big sin".

Anyway, to make a short story long, the money didn't appear until Friday when we went back a closed the deal for the $64,857 plus wheels plus clear bra plus extended warranty (just to give them a little extra profit <_< )

We checked later and the Internet invoice (Edmunds) was about $62,500 so I guess we did OK.

[silver] Bullitt

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased nearly the same car (MSRP of 73.8 - difference probably being winter floor mats) at $4,000 off, plus a some dealer throw-ins.

I am happy with the deal, but the guy buying in Denver did substantially better. That is the first I have heard of a discount any where near that large.

Sure, the dealers are making a tidy sum, but that's what happens when you have a quality product that is in demand, and the sticker price is reaonable to start with.

Enjoy the car - they are awesome.

I am happy with the deal, but the guy buying in Denver did substantially better. That is the first I have heard of a discount any where near that large.

Stevenson Lexus has two stores in the Denver area, Lakewood (west) and Frederick (north). They were sponsoring the International Golf Tournament in Castle Pines and had ordered 220 ES, RX and GX "courtesy cars" for the touring pros. These low mileage cars are then sold for "an impressive discount" when the tournament is over. The tournament was cancelled this year but not before the cars were ordered and the order could not be cancelled. So Stevenson is interested in moving cars, any cars.

I think this helped get us a good deal. Good timing on our part.

[silver] Bullitt

• 1 month later...

I am interested in buying an LS 460 L and the dealer closest to us insists they will not take ANYTHING off of the MSRP and if I order one, they will be adding $750 for special order costs. From what I am reading here, this dealer is full of crap! I am going to start checking out some of the surrounding dealers for costs.

Stevenson Lexus has two stores in the Denver area, Lakewood (west) and Frederick (north). They were sponsoring the International Golf Tournament in Castle Pines and had ordered 220 ES, RX and GX "courtesy cars" for the touring pros. These low mileage cars are then sold for "an impressive discount" when the tournament is over. The tournament was cancelled this year but not before the cars were ordered and the order could not be cancelled. So Stevenson is interested in moving cars, any cars.

[silver] Bullitt

If anybody has bought a 2007 LS460 this Question is for you.

For the MSRP of 73,702... What is a decent Purchase Price?

I have an offer of 71,500 locally, and about 100 miles away for 70K...

Invoice is 63,217... So close to 7K over invoice seems steep, but then again most dealership dont have more than 2 or 3 of these.

Has anybody bought this car for under 70K?

Thank you...

Just bought a LS460L last Saturday. Best I was able to do was 5% off MSRP. We started the process two weeks ago, and dealer refused my offer

but called last Saturday morning (last day of month) and we came to terms. This dealer was the only one with LS460 and L's in stock. They had

about 6 or 7 plus was receiving more in the next few weeks.

Other dealers didn't have but maybe one or two to select from and seemed very disinterested.

I was going to wait until Fall and start the process over, hoping the LS would be more available with perhaps better dealer pricing.

Good Luck,

Joe

I am interested in buying an LS 460 L and the dealer closest to us insists they will not take ANYTHING off of the MSRP and if I order one, they will be adding $750 for special order costs. From what I am reading here, this dealer is full of crap! I am going to start checking out some of the surrounding dealers for costs.

[silver] Bullitt

They do sell for pretty much sticker price...there is still a high demand for these cars.

• 4 weeks later...

I am in the process of negotiating my LS460 black on black. sticker was 71 and change and am getting 6000$ off of sticker. But now before the closing they are adding a docking fee. Does this make sense. and extra 450 for docking. I am already paying the 750 for transportation? any help would be appreciated.

I am in the process of negotiating my LS460 black on black. sticker was 71 and change and am getting 6000$ off of sticker. But now before the closing they are adding a docking fee. Does this make sense. and extra 450 for docking. I am already paying the 750 for transportation? any help would be appreciated.

Sounds like a BS charge to me. Around here, they charge $75-$85...

All they're doing is typing up the paperwork to title the car. That's what a doc fee is...

Craig

Docing fees are BS...tell them no doc or walk They are getting 3% above your price too (2% holdback and 1% Wholesale Fin Reserve)

HELP!! can anyone suggest a solution to problems with bluetooth compatibility? I have tried three of the lexus "supposed" "approved" blackberry devices and NONE have worked correctly. Just moved the motorola Q and it worked for 4 weeks without a problem... now all of a sudden it will not "link" no matter what i do (ie, delte, add new phone, etc.) am using Verizon... dealer (TO MY SURPRISE) is being VERY resistant to address problem.. continuing to tell me it is a phone problem and not a "lexus" problem? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... have been struggling with this for 5 months.. needless to say am at my wits end... not to mention upset with the dealer in philly.... HELP>>.. thanks