Rx-400h Mod: Kill Those Running Lights ~ Please!

Ok . . . sure sure sure . . . it's safe to drive w/ your lights on. Sometimes you're just sitting in the parking lot though, waiting for a few minutes, and you don't want to have to power down. It forces the hybrids to go through an unnecessary ICE start up. Maybe the lamps don't drain THAT much . . . certainly not like running AC . . . but it is just me? I'd like a switch to kill 'em if I'm so inclined. Checked out the non-hybrid threads, and wasn't able to readily find any threads on topic. Has anyone ventured into the running light wiring, for such a purpose yet?

Thanks!

I tried this but had trouble getting the bottom part apart I gave up on it till I have more time to muck around with it. I considered buying a relay and cut off the proper contact but relays cost $45 so I will wait until I have time ti get it apart and unplug the wire.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219418

I tried this but had trouble getting the bottom part apart I gave up on it till I have more time to muck around with it. I considered buying a relay and cut off the proper contact but relays cost $45 so I will wait until I have time ti get it apart and unplug the wire.

Thanks a MILLION for the thread Silver! . . . not only was it just the right info, there are VERY good links that were added with additional data/goodies. Hopefully I can get'r done in a few days.

Thanks a MILLION for the thread Silver! . . . not only was it just the right info, there are VERY good links that were added with additional data/goodies. Hopefully I can get'r done in a few days.

WOW..!

I simply unplugged the DRL voltage dropping resistor under the battery mounting plate.

WOW..!

I simply unplugged the DRL voltage dropping resistor under the battery mounting plate.

That's it? Well heck! I'll give the simple try, as try first! Thanks for the FYI. Nice to know I'm not the only one who'd like to turn 'em off if so inclined. Who knows? Maybe the DRL's will end up lasting longer this way, too!

One quick question though . . . using this method, I'm presuming the DLR's will simply stay off when the HID's are on? In other words, this doesn't afford the option to LEAVE the DLR's on, right?

WOW..!

That's it? Well heck! I'll give the simple try, as try first! Thanks for the FYI. Nice to know I'm not the only one who'd like to turn 'em off if so inclined. Who knows? Maybe the DRL's will end up lasting longer this way, too!

One quick question though . . . using this method, I'm presuming the DLR's will simply stay off when the HID's are on? In other words, this doesn't afford the option to LEAVE the DLR's on, right?

In actuality I substituded a 12 volt relay for the DRL dropping resistor and then wired the N.O. relay contacts so the street/parking/tail/marker lights illuminate instead of high beam DRL voltage. I then added 5 watt Luxeon LEDS with collimator lens to the headlamp assemblies for alternate, improved, DRL functionality.

Seemingly operating the halogen HB bulbs so far below their operational design voltage as DRLs result in melting the bulb's glass encapsulation.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been busy with other thins but I got it done yesterday. The hardest part was getting the wire out of the clip. I didn't want cut the wire and I was afraid to dammage the fixture that held the wire so it slowed me dow a bit. But I did get the wire out with only a little bit of dammage to the plug. The important thing is that it can be reversed when I turn in the lease.