Catalic Converter Code

Thank you, Toysrme!

Since my car always jerk when put in D, tried a couple thing but it does not help, I bring it to the dealer.

They said everything is OK, the shake I feel is normal. They see it in all the cars ( But my sister car, a 97 ES300, never have that shake?!)

They told me that when scan the car, they figure out that the catalic converter is almost gone. If I want to replace, the cost is 1800 USD.

I took the car back. Turn it on - No engine light on. But jus a couple minutes later, when I enter the highway, Check Engine Light On, also another one is TRAC OFF.

I came back and ask them why. They bring the car to the garage. When they bring it back. The lights was gone. They told me that the Check Engine Light is b/c of the Catalic Converter. I think the code in their paper is P#04270 or P#0270 ( I am not sure. )

They told me that they just reset something so the Check Engine Light is gone for now. But it will come back later. They are not sure when it come back. Maybe tomorrow. Maybe for a long time.

Since I used to drive an Audi, which has two catalic converter, I asked them which converter broken. They said the "Bank One." After checking a couple online Lexus store, I think there is only one Catalic Converter. Am I right?

After all of that, I feel like there is something wrong in there service. I hope some friendly helpers here, can give an idea. Sorry for the long story.

Thank you,

Yeah, I think the code is p0420. Mine goes off about every 500 miles (I banged the cat on a curb about a year ago) and I just disconnect the negative battery cable when it goes off. There is no way I'll pay 1200 to fix it. I'm going the route of a universal from autozone to weld in or gutting the cat and having a hi-flow model put in.

Also, autozone will read your code for free.

I actually wasn't planning on getting it done anytime soon. If I do, I think I'll go with the the hi-flow cat replacement rather than the universal. My car just passed it's yearly inspection so I'm not too worried.

I tried to find the part online at autozone but couldn't (I know it is there--the sales rep just offered to sell me one about a month ago when I had the code read). Advanced auto parts has one at this link http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductList.as...ytic+Converters

Good luck!