94 Ls400 - How Do I Check For Air Suspension?

VikingLS

there should be a switch next too the gear selector that reads "normal / high" or something to that effect. If you see one switch, that's the normal/pwr mode for the tranny shift points "all LS's have that one". If you see two switches, then best bet is the other is the air suspenison setting switch.

salesman found the following, so it does have air suspension

"There are 3 rocker switches next to the transmission shifter instead of 1 rocker switch. They are marked Sport/Normal, Height and ECT Pwr/Norm"

So this is the only thing I dislike about the car without viewing it in person. It is a 1994 with 128k miles, all seen in the Midwest. On the high cost of replacement, do I turn my head and run away from the car? What is the typical life of the OEM suspension parts/shocks?

depends, I guess. If they do fail you can switch to regular shocks, and you'll be able to revamp your suspension. This could be worth it if all other maintenance is caught up.

Is the COMPLETE 100k service done, all the way down to rotors/caps, water pump and idlers/tensioners? If so, I'd say take it if you like the price. Try and take it over a few speed bumps on the test drive.

Well I am definitely not a DIY type of guy for the involved stuff, so I am not too sure about revamping my suspension. So if I switched to regular shocks would I be losing that much?

Also, how can I found out what the COMPLETE 100k service involves - I can call any dealer with the VIN # and they can tell me that, right?

depends, I guess. If they do fail you can switch to regular shocks, and you'll be able to revamp your suspension. This could be worth it if all other maintenance is caught up.

Is the COMPLETE 100k service done, all the way down to rotors/caps, water pump and idlers/tensioners? If so, I'd say take it if you like the price. Try and take it over a few speed bumps on the test drive.

I would recommend running the vin# by the dealerhship, no matter what car you're looking at! They should beable to see if the 90k service was done, which is the big honker "timing belt, water pump, plugs, rotors, caps, wires, fluids, etc..." It is the biggest service to the car, period.

Honestly man, at that miles, and if the shocks are stock from day one, they're probably pretty close to done, if not bandaided to just get it sold. They are very expensive, and I'd bet that if you took a poll on here on wether to buy an air system at 138k miles or not, the overwhelming majority would say not. It's just too costly to repair, and now that prices have started to come up on parts, shocks particularly, too expensive to convert too, if you're not the DIY type.

My honest opinion Viking.... keep looking. I'd let that one go. You can mix-match aftermarket parts on these cars, but it won't ride as nice. And that's the main reason why people buy these cars, is for that quiet, smooth Lexus ride. Get the vin# and call the Lexus Dealership. Be very nice to the service guy, as this is strictly a "favor" he'll do for you, and not a required service. Mine even show's report enteries from other shops that weren't Lexus/Toyota related, simply because the shop entered in the vin # and put it somewhere on some database that Lexus picked-up on.

Thanks so much for your honesty and expertise!!! I'll keep looking, and to tell you the truth, my 12 year old will be happy since he didnt like the color in the first place and whichever car I find will probably end up being handed down to him in a few years....

BTW, is the database accessible anywhere on the Internet or is it strictly thru the dealer?

I would recommend running the vin# by the dealerhship, no matter what car you're looking at! They should beable to see if the 90k service was done, which is the big honker "timing belt, water pump, plugs, rotors, caps, wires, fluids, etc..." It is the biggest service to the car, period.

Honestly man, at that miles, and if the shocks are stock from day one, they're probably pretty close to done, if not bandaided to just get it sold. They are very expensive, and I'd bet that if you took a poll on here on wether to buy an air system at 138k miles or not, the overwhelming majority would say not. It's just too costly to repair, and now that prices have started to come up on parts, shocks particularly, too expensive to convert too, if you're not the DIY type.

My honest opinion Viking.... keep looking. I'd let that one go. You can mix-match aftermarket parts on these cars, but it won't ride as nice. And that's the main reason why people buy these cars, is for that quiet, smooth Lexus ride. Get the vin# and call the Lexus Dealership. Be very nice to the service guy, as this is strictly a "favor" he'll do for you, and not a required service. Mine even show's report enteries from other shops that weren't Lexus/Toyota related, simply because the shop entered in the vin # and put it somewhere on some database that Lexus picked-up on.

i think it's just through the dealership. Toyota might have the same access though too.

If you're planning on passing the car down to your son, then I would definetly pass on the air system. You know teenagers, and it's a lot easier to replace a damaged strut than a blow out air bag. One bad curb-check on the air system, and it's leaks-ville USA.

Have any pictures of this car, or a website with them on it?

Thanks so much for your honesty and expertise!!! I'll keep looking, and to tell you the truth, my 12 year old will be happy since he didnt like the color in the first place and whichever car I find will probably end up being handed down to him in a few years....

In that case, I would wait and be picky. Find one with standard suspension, traction control, nakamichi and heated seats, is maybe 25-30k past its last 100k service. You won't find one much closer to just having had the 100k done, simply because she seller would be insane to sell at that point without major mechanical complication or lottery winnings. Get the color you want. If your son has ever mentioned putting a spoiler on it, disregard his color choice.

You can pass that down to him in confidence, that would be identical in major options to the '90 I drove in high school (except for anything 93+ having bigger tires and brakes), and after having driven a Taurus my last 30,000 miles I can say learning to drive in winter on an RWD TC car was much safer and made me a better driver than learning on the '02 Taurus would have been. I just picked up a '93 I'm doing a full service to and expect it to be mechanically fit to run another decade.

Water pump, Timing belt/idlers/tensioner, Drive belt/idler/tensioner and sparks plugs/wires/caps/rotors are the big ones to make sure were done, they require removal of engine covers and some "digging in" to the engine. It's not hard, but it certainly qualifies as DIY