Key Could Not Turn In Ignition

Today my wife could not turn the ignition - it seemed locked. (I think this happened once with my 1992 ES300.) The wheels were not turned; the car was on a flat surface; parking brake not engaged. I don't know how I managed to get it to turn and start the car, but some combination of trying the steering wheel in both directions, trying to budge the shifter and pressing on the brake seemed to work. Does this happen to anyone here, and what might cause it? I'm afraid if it happens again when my wife has the car away from the house, it will cost money to deal with.

Today my wife could not turn the ignition - it seemed locked. (I think this happened once with my 1992 ES300.) The wheels were not turned; the car was on a flat surface; parking brake not engaged. I don't know how I managed to get it to turn and start the car, but some combination of trying the steering wheel in both directions, trying to budge the shifter and pressing on the brake seemed to work. Does this happen to anyone here, and what might cause it? I'm afraid if it happens again when my wife has the car away from the house, it will cost money to deal with.

Be prepared to spend about $1000. This happen to my previous 99 GS400. Just locked up one morning after giving us trouble for about a month with being hard to turn. I had to have it towed to the dealer. The keys get worn along with the lock column. Dirt buildup and wear and tear eventually keep the key from working. They had to mechanically re-key the entire car but were able to transfer the electronic portion of the key so it didn't require a new ECU. Sorry for the bad news.

Is it an old key or did you have one made? Reason I ask is because I have an extra key that I bought uncut on ebay and had a local locksmith cut.... he must have not cut it correctly because it will only turn with the emblem facing the wheel... wont work with the buttons facing the wheel...... your key may be worn.... will it work in the door locks??

Spray some lube like pb blaster int the lock and then tap the cylinder with a hammer with a screwdriver. Do not insert the screwdriver into the key hole just let it strike the area around it to loosen the pins in it,.

Be prepared to spend about $1000. This happen to my previous 99 GS400. Just locked up one morning after giving us trouble for about a month with being hard to turn. I had to have it towed to the dealer. The keys get worn along with the lock column. Dirt buildup and wear and tear eventually keep the key from working. They had to mechanically re-key the entire car but were able to transfer the electronic portion of the key so it didn't require a new ECU. Sorry for the bad news.

This is one of two individual, original Lexus keys, the ones with the unlock and panic buttons. If one key did this, should I assume the other would also, or could there be differences in their wear that might make one less reliable?

Is it an old key or did you have one made? Reason I ask is because I have an extra key that I bought uncut on ebay and had a local locksmith cut.... he must have not cut it correctly because it will only turn with the emblem facing the wheel... wont work with the buttons facing the wheel...... your key may be worn.... will it work in the door locks??

What about WD-40?

wd 40 could work but i find it garbage. pb blaster is a catalyst and bubbles to release grime.

If you are releasing grime inside the key column, where would it go? Is there some kind of stiff brush that could be inserted into the ignition to grab the debris?

BTW, I soaked the metal shanks of my keys in an ammonia solution, it cleaned them nicely.