Replacing Caliper Mount Only...

dfkd

I visited the dealership to pick up some touchup paint and while there I asked about getting replacement caliper mounts (this is the term they had in their computer) for my 94 LS.

Currently I have a stuck caliper sliding pin so I was thinking if I could not get that pin free, replacing the mount without buying a caliper would be the best bet.

The stealer does sell the mount on its own for a whoping $177ca.

At that price I could get the whole caliper at Advance Auto Parts.

Any idea where I could get the mount/bracket only at a sane price?

Stuck slider pins on floating calipers is a very common occurance, and over the years I have freed up lots of them in my business.

You'll have to remove the caliper from the existing bracket, and if you can do that, you are more than halfway to fixing the parts you have now. Just clean the pin with emery cloth or whatever, and clean the bore in the caliper. I have an old shotgun cleaning kit, and use the stepped brushes to clean the bores. Even the very small old wheel cylinder hones will work, or a wooden dowell with a slot in it to hold a bit of emery will work. Then assemble with any high temp grease and you're done. Assemble and have someone stomp the brake pedal. While trying to turn the rotor by hand have them release the brakes and note the speed at which the caliper releases. If its really quick, it's fixed.

Hi SRK,

If you could elaborate more on the part where you actually get the pin out of the bore that would be great.

The part between ..."You'll have to remove the caliper from the existing bracket, and if you can do that, you are more than halfway to fixing the parts you have now."... AND ..."Just clean the pin with emery cloth or whatever, and clean the bore in the caliper."

The whole issue I have is that I can get everything to come out except for the one pin.

Any tips on getting the actual stuck pin out? The thing just wont budge.

I had to force 2 other ones to move but this one particular one has been a pain in the butt.

My idea was that you will have to remove the pin stuck in the caliper, if you are going to use that caliper again on a new bracket. I may not be imagining the assembly properly, or it may be different from my car, but if you remove the caliper from the hose you'll have a better chance. Set the caliper in a vise and rotate and tap the pin out with a punch and hammer. This is the perfect time for your favourite penetrating fluid - WD-40 or whatever. Once the pin is out you can sand it clean, and clean the bore in the caliper.

I'll have a look at my repair manual to see if I am describing this correctly.

SRK

My idea was that you will have to remove the pin stuck in the caliper, if you are going to use that caliper again on a new bracket. I may not be imagining the assembly properly, or it may be different from my car, but if you remove the caliper from the hose you'll have a better chance. Set the caliper in a vise and rotate and tap the pin out with a punch and hammer. This is the perfect time for your favourite penetrating fluid - WD-40 or whatever. Once the pin is out you can sand it clean, and clean the bore in the caliper.

I'll have a look at my repair manual to see if I am describing this correctly.

SRK

You're got it right SRK. A good soak with penetrant up in a vise oughtta work wonders. If it still resists, you might try a socket on the end of an impact driver prior to getting out the punch set.