Timing Belt

duddu

I just bought a lexus sc400. Very very nice hehe, but the serpentine belt is getting old and i want to replace it. Now, how would i go abouts doing that? Cause i don't really feel like taking it to the shop. I've owned alot of toyota's and i just don't know if it is the same. Do you loosen from the alternator or some where else??? please help. Would appreciate much to whom ever responds...Thanks

Alright thanks alot. You make my life alot easier. Hope to get it done soon cause its getting warm out and i want to drive it..Thanks again.

Is the serpentine belt also the timing belt? I just bought my 1993 SC400 six days ago, and still getting acquainted with it.

Serpetine belt - It is the long belt you see in the above picture... That serp belt runs off the engine crank and powers and or turns the steering pump, hydo pump, alternator, A/C, etc....

Timing belt - Is located behind the two plastic covers located in the front of the engine...There are two belts on the Lexus V8's...One on each side... You need to remove all the plastic top engine crap to get to them... Not very difficult to change them out as many people would think... The distributor caps and rotors (2 of both) is also located inside the timing belt areas and is easily replaced as well...

Dealer will charge you hundreds and hundreds when really you can do it yourself for under $100 or so...Parts only...It's a sinch...

Also when changing your timing belts, lexus owners should consider changing out the water pump as well as they are known to fail over time....

Anyone know where there is a tutorial on changing a timing belt? My SC400 has about 103k miles on it, and I don't believe the timing belt has been changed. I have all the maintenance records, gotta look through them better. Also, where do you suggest getting a service manual from?

Anyone know where there is a tutorial on changing a timing belt? My SC400 has about 103k miles on it, and I don't believe the timing belt has been changed. I have all the maintenance records, gotta look through them better. Also, where do you suggest getting a service manual from?

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=14705

Thank you sir! Now, isn't everything likely to get turned around off the the timing marks while fiddling with everything? But, as long as all the marks line up with the marks on the new belt, it should be fine right? Also, is this V8 non-interference, or interference? If the belt breaks, is it going to bend some valves, or just stop running?

These timing belts usually live for twice as long as the recommended Lexus dealer service...I've seen timing belts go for 200,000 miles and still look in pretty good shape...Just a little food for thought...My sc400 has 115,000 miles and my original timing belts look too good to change....

The timing belts are incased and are protected very well from the outside elements, so failing, cracking, etc... takes a long time...Unlike the serpentine belts....