Dealership Purchase Vs. Ebay Purchase

DavidW

Hi friends,

I have been looking for a 2004 LS, perhaps an Ultra if I am lucky enough to find one. I have noticed there is a big different in price between what an 04 LS will bring on Ebay and what they go for at the local Lexus dealership. Most dealership's prices seems to be $10,000 to $15,000(+) more than Ebay sales prices even after discounts.

With the reputation of the LS being what it is I am tempted to make my purchase on Ebay pending an inspection by a near by Lexus dealership. My fear level would be much higher if I was considering a German car.

I have friends who have purchased cars on Ebay and been very pleased with their purchases. Each case involved a prearranged deal of a dealership inspection piror to payment.

Do any of you have any experiences or thoughts to share on this subject?

IMO, ebay is a good source as long as certain precautions are followed. I have bought two LS400's from ebay sellers. You have already named one of the precautions, in having the car inspected by a disinterested third party who is knowledgeable of this type and make vehicle. Also, try and get prior service records from the seller. Just as important, however, is the reputation of the seller. Take a GOOD look at the sales background which is offered by ebay at the listing. Read the comments volunteered by other PURCHASERS, not just other sellers. In addition to all this, pray for good luck.

I'm a powerseller on Ebay and like the other reply said, do your homework. I wouldn't buy from someone with less 20 positive feedbacks of at least 99.5% on a high price item like a car unless it was being sold by the original seller and then I too would want a third party to inspect it.

Even though I purchased from a local dealer, I had found several really nice cars on Ebay. Actually the Lexus dealers in Florida and Texas had better pricing than the dealers in Ohio and I really got interested in a few 1 owner, low miles, all service records from individules. In hindsight, I should have bought one on Ebay, flown in to pick it up and drove it home thereby saving myself $$.

I think as long as you can find a repuatable seller and get it looked it by a third party like you said you should be good to go. One of my BMW guys bought an '01 from a seller down south because of the lack of salt so you could check there too. I was just on eBay looking at '04's. Man they are really nice cars. Best lookin LS IMO.

This is my first post - got a great deal on a 2003 LS430 from an off-lease dealer on eBay. 33kmiles, NAVI, Mark Levinson sound, new tires, fantastic color combo (Navy blue/ecru) - $27,500. My 10th vehicle offof eBay. Do a bunch of research, though. Lord willing, it'll be the best deal yet!