After Market Wheel And Nut Bolt Question.

99lexus

Hi,

I would like to buy a set of aftermarket wheel for my 99 ES300. Since I have a set of aftermarket wheel, which I use for my 2001 Honda Accord, I tried them on the ES300 before ordering them, and then I figure out there was something wrong.

When I mounted the OEM wheels on the ES300, the nut lugs need to be turned 9-10 rounds. But when I mounted the aftermarket one, using its lug nuts, I can turn the nuts only 5-6 rounds. I figure out that the OEM lugnut have a very long lug seat, which let the nuts go deeply into the wheels. That why we can turn the OEM nuts more rounds than the aftermarket ones (Please see my picture to understand me. Thanks!)

The aftermarket wheels I tried are recommended for both 01 Honda Accord V6 and 99 Lexus ES300, without any extra accesories, by a very famous online tire store.

So, 5-6 rounds are enough when we mount the aftemarket, or we need longer lug bolts when using aftermarket wheels?

If I put the longer nut bolts in, when I want to use the OEM wheels again in the next winter, do I need to put the OEM nut bolts back in?

Thank you for your help!

post-23673-1175986660_thumb.jpg

From what it sounds like to me, is that the aftermarket rim just had a thicker plate that the lugs are in contact with. I'm sure if you use those short(5-6 turn) lug on your OEM rim, they'll turn 9-10 times. That longer part on the other lugs you pointed out is not what holds the rim on, it is the washer right after it.

If you mount the rim, with the short neck lugs, check to see if there is a gap between the rotor and rim, if not, try pulling the rim towards you while the car is still raised, if nothing still, it should be fine, which I'm sure it will be.

I actualy have the set of lug nut which come with the aftermarket wheels. Those nuts only let me turn 5-6 rounds on when mounting the aftermarket wheels. My best bet now maybe stay with the OEM wheels. I am looking at some set of IS300 wheels on Ebay now. Thanks for your help!