Check Engine/traction Off Light

I Just bought a Lexus GS300 year 1995. The owner replaced the old powertrain with a 40k driven engine and transmission recently. I see check engine and the traction off lights on the dash whenever I turn on the car. After driving few miles, I also feel burning smell from the hood. I talked to the dealership and they told me that the traction off will come on whenever you have check engine light. Believing that they are right (which could be wrong) I started finding the cause of check engine light. I bought a code scanner on ebay and found out that the car spits code 28 whose description in the book is "HO2S right hand front circuit - HO2S sensor/heater or circuit, ECU".

If I try to connect the dots I feel like it may not be a fault and just the cat is expired. Because of the burning smell I tend to believe that it could be related to some leakage in that cat, HO2S sensor/heater area. Did anybody have any such problems before? Can any experts give me their advice on how to diagnose the real fault and do the trouble shooting afterwards? Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Hello Texas GS300, the first thing I would do is get a subscription to alldatadiy.com I saved $3000 min. on my GS400. Dealer wanted to dive into the Var Val. Timming. come to find out with the knowledge of alldatadiy, I was able to trouble shoot and fix it. (sticky VVT celinoid). Anyway I remember reading somthing about changing drive train or trans the ecu has to be reset some how.

I know it sound like a commercial but its worth the 25 bucks.

Dennis

Thanks dglange for your input.

After talking to different people it seems like the logical course of action should be to start with the oxygen sensor and then if the problem is not resolved I’ll see what else could be problematic like catalytic converter or the EGR… In order to do anything on the oxygen sensor I would like anyone to guide me for the part number of this heated oxygen sensor (front right, some call it circuit # 2) and where can I buy an inexpensive working oxygen sensor of this type.