Replaced Rack Causing Vibrations?

rwallican

I had a complete power steering system replacement done on my 96 ls about a month ago. Afterwards, I noticed a steering wheel vibration at 50-60 mph. The dealer had noted that I needed new strut rods, motor and tranny mounts, and rear knuckle bushings. Had my indie do all that work a couple of weeks ago. I had the tires rotated and balanced today thinking that may be the problem (I never had a vibrating wheel problem prior to the remanned rack). The tires are balanced perfectly. Is this a possible symptom of a bad remanned rack?

I had a complete power steering system replacement done on my 96 ls about a month ago. Afterwards, I noticed a steering wheel vibration at 50-60 mph. The dealer had noted that I needed new strut rods, motor and tranny mounts, and rear knuckle bushings. Had my indie do all that work a couple of weeks ago. I had the tires rotated and balanced today thinking that may be the problem (I never had a vibrating wheel problem prior to the remanned rack). The tires are balanced perfectly. Is this a possible symptom of a bad remanned rack?

Sounds like your alignment was not done properly. Anytime a power steering rack is replaced, you have to have an alignment done. If your alignment is off - you will definitely get some vibration. I would check your alignment first or have someone else (not the person who did the steering rack work-in case they don't admit it was wrong in the first place) check it. Hope this helps...

Alignment and tire balance are both "perfect". Had the tires check again this morning. I think this warrants another trip back to the dealership so they can check out that rack. Like I said, I never had this problem before it was put on. Any other thoughts on this?

Alignment and tire balance are both "perfect". Had the tires check again this morning. I think this warrants another trip back to the dealership so they can check out that rack. Like I said, I never had this problem before it was put on. Any other thoughts on this?

its.. a mechanical problem for sure .. i would look for if there is a .. losen wire or relay ... my brother had this problem on acura and the inde put .. a device was missing umm sorry for got what was it exacty .. so plz look into .. wireing and rack ... might be defective .. or ur tie rod thats all