Conversion For Telephone

CDavo

Is anyone aware of a way to convert the built-in phone system so that you can dial numbers while driving? Talking with a service guy at my local dealership, he advised that Lexus disable certain parts of the phone so you can't dial numbers unless you are stopped, in preparation for possible incoming legislation. This makes it impossible to do things like control voicemail while you are moving, even at very low speeds in a traffic jam for instance. In fact, you can't even select a name from the phone book, which is just crazy.

Apparently there is a company in San Diego called Bluetooh Valet who will do a conversion but I think it costs over $500 and requires special equipment to be installed. Surely it must just be a programming change. Does anyone know anything about this or heard of Bluetooth Valet?

I don't understand why you can't even dial by voice, which you can do in some of the lower models? What are Lexus thinking (or not thinking!!) I have the '06 model. Is it like this in the earlier year models too?

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Is anyone aware of a way to convert the built-in phone system so that you can dial numbers while driving? Talking with a service guy at my local dealership, he advised that Lexus disable certain parts of the phone so you can't dial numbers unless you are stopped, in preparation for possible incoming legislation. This makes it impossible to do things like control voicemail while you are moving, even at very low speeds in a traffic jam for instance. In fact, you can't even select a name from the phone book, which is just crazy.

Apparently there is a company in San Diego called Bluetooh Valet who will do a conversion but I think it costs over $500 and requires special equipment to be installed. Surely it must just be a programming change. Does anyone know anything about this or heard of Bluetooth Valet?

I don't understand why you can't even dial by voice, which you can do in some of the lower models? What are Lexus thinking (or not thinking!!) I have the '06 model. Is it like this in the earlier year models too?

I have a 200 LX470 and want to convert to bluetooth. I have contacted Bluetooth Valet and your are right. I want a bluetooth conversion module that can be pluged into my existing phone cradle plug which will then work with any bluetooth phone.

CDavo, there are threads on www.clublexus.com that should answer your questions. You might try doing a search over there. The modifications involve cutting and splicing various wires behind the nav unit and are not for the faint of heart.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 200 LX470 and want to convert to bluetooth. I have contacted Bluetooth Valet and your are right. I want a bluetooth conversion module that can be pluged into my existing phone cradle plug which will then work with any bluetooth phone.

I have done the change with Bluetooth Valet, my phone and DVD player both work now while the car is in drive. It is a simple bypass of the break system in the car in which they just unplugged a portion of the loom and put a jumper over to allow the phone system and DVD to work. Mine works great, I purchased the unlock service for $300 after they set up my Bluetooth in my car which I paid $100 for initially through the dealer.

• 1 year later...

***Yes you can have Bluetooth Valet install the over-ride chip in your lexus. I had the over-ride chip for the Nav/Phonebook installed by them at Carlsbad Lexus Dealership-760-438-2300."outstanding product!" I can now use ALL of the Nav menus while driving and use the phone book while driving. Cost- $300.00. Get it done. Not very many owners know about this product. I'll get you the number.*** :D

***I have the number for Bluetooth Valet...Greg Gattuso (760) 670-5078. Ask him if he'll drive up to HB to install it. Oh, and if you could. Could you refer the guy who will install the chip to TK Burger on PCH. Everyone from SD has to have a TK Burger once in their lives.

Original Resident of HB

Carlos

• 1 year later...

Having my car done this week. Dealership recommended Bluetooth Valet here in San Diego. Read the other posts and talked to the owner Greg Gattuso (760-670-5078). Cost is $300 to add a circuit board that overrides the cars monitoring system to confuse it into thinking the car is at a complete stop. Allows you to access your phone features and navigation features while the car is moving. I am told it has no effect on the other functions of the car. They also install a rocker switch in the center console (can't even see it) that allows you to disable the override returning the car to normal factory function when you want.

• 2 years later...