Fishy Sounding?

deadmilenko

I am looking at buying a '00 from a dealer it was a recent local trade in. The LX has alittle over 90k on it. The sales man told me that they inspected the vehicle and fix the things that needed fixin, but they looked at the timming belt and water pump and decided that it was in good shape and didnt, "didnt" need to be replaced. So they didnt replace it. Is there any truth to this. Why would a dealer take apart a motor to get to the timming belt and then look at it and not replace it. Is this a dealer "bait n hook" to get me to bring it back in a year to get it replaced?

thank for the feedback.

RE: "The sales man told me..."

I would speak to a Service rep at the dealership. My personal experience at Lexus is that the Service dept guys are the honest ones. My experience with most Sales reps is that you need to question what they tell you...when you see their lips start to move. :)

thats funny !!!!!!! I just talked to the service manager at this dealer and picked his brain about the 90k service on any LX470 and he recommend that it be done for several different reasons. To make a long story short I talked to the sales rep and he talked to the Pre-own manager and they are going to replace the water pump and timming belt for me.

Oh yea and by the way NO Lexus motor is a interferance motor.

I just had my 90K service work done and they replaced the timing belt - standard service. They also ended up replacing the water pump because it looked like it was starting to leak, according to the technician. But the estimate of service at 90K definitely had timing belt replacement listed.

Good luck!

Sam T

Oh yea and by the way NO Lexus motor is a interferance motor.

That is Incorrect! If someone at the dealersip told you that they should be fired.

Anything with VVTi (which debuted on the '98 LS400) is an interference type motor. Take a look at some of the other forums.

Just about all manufacturers are using some type of interference engine these days. It is an easy way to get more power, and or better fuel economy with the same (or less) overall displacement.