Intermittent Starting Problem

osetleo

I need your advice on the problem that happened at least 3 times during the last month on my wife's 99RX. When I turn the ignition it clicks and it does not start. After several attemps it eventually starts and then it runs normal. What is confusing it always happens on Monday morning when the car stays in the garage for 2 days (we don't drive her car on weekends).

When it happen the first time it reset the clock to 1:00. So, I put the new battery from Costco and cleaned/brushed the contacts. It happened again and now I am thinking it is a starter.

Do you have any experience with this problem?

Do you know if they sell commutator brushes separately and is anybody replaced them on the this starter? If you have a procedure for it?

Did somebody tried the replacement starter for this car and have good experience with it?

I would really appreciate your advices.

• 5 weeks later...

I need your advice on the problem that happened at least 3 times during the last month on my wife's 99RX. When I turn the ignition it clicks and it does not start. After several attemps it eventually starts and then it runs normal. What is confusing it always happens on Monday morning when the car stays in the garage for 2 days (we don't drive her car on weekends).

When it happen the first time it reset the clock to 1:00. So, I put the new battery from Costco and cleaned/brushed the contacts. It happened again and now I am thinking it is a starter.

Do you know if they sell commutator brushes separately and is anybody replaced them on the this starter? If you have a procedure for it?

Did somebody tried the replacement starter for this car and have good experience with it?

Go ahead and replace the whole starter and be done with it. SHouldn't be too hard to take care of and should run you about 165 dollars or so.

Go ahead and replace the whole starter and be done with it. SHouldn't be too hard to take care of and should run you about 165 dollars or so.

To replace the starter on 99 - 2003 rx 300 models:

1 Remove air intake filter box completely. Remove filter, remove 3 bolts at base of the box, disconnect sensors and vacuum line from filter box. Completely remove filter box.

2 Remove battery. Disconnect positive and negative cable lines. Remove bracket running across top of battery. Remove rectangled shape casing from around the battery.

3- Look towards the left lower area of where the battery was and you should see a piece of equipment which resembles your replacement starter. There are 2 bolt and 2 connections to remove. REMOVE THE BOLTS FIRST (14 mm socket with extension should make it easy....be careful not to strip the bolt when loosening). Next remove the contact which comes from battery cable to starter (use 10mm socket and remove the line from the old starter). Remove the sensor connection by squeezing the end and pulling it out of the connection. Remove the old start from engine area. THE OLD STARTER IS NOW REMOVED!!!!!!

4- Take new starter and re-connect the power line from the battery (10mm) along with the sensor connection. Next, line up bolt holes from new starter to those bolt holes on engine block. START but DO NOT tighten the 2 bracketing bolts. Once both bolts are started, screw in by hand until you can no longer turn. Then tighten both bolts down tightly. The NEW STARTER IS NOW IN.

5 Bolt the air filter box back in. Next reconnect all connections from air filter box. Make sure the filter box opening is lined up correctly with the opening along the fender well area. Place filter back in (replace if needed) and clamp down opening.

6 - Replace battery, terminals (red to + and black to -), and bracket.

7 - START IT UP>>>>>>YOU HAVE JUST CHANGED THE STARTER.

THIS IS MUCH MORE EASY THEN THE INSTRUCTIONS MAKE IT SOUND. IT SHOULDN'T BE TOO DIFFICULT. E-mail me with any ?'s tjmc11@hotmail.com

Sorry if this is too descriptive or confusing.......just trying to make it dummy proof.

See below for alternate explanation (may be easier to understand.....)

The starter is suprisingly easy to replace. First take off the air filter box. Open the air filter box and remove the filter. Disconnect the air line from the air filter box which connects to the throttle body (this is done using a 10 mm socket or phillips screw driver and loosening the clamp). Disconnect the sensor and vacuum line which connect into the air filter box. Next, remove the 3 bolts from the bottom of the air filter box. Once this is done you should be able to remove the air filter box as one complete piece and take out of engine compartment (place bolts inside the box and place to the side of your working area). Next disconnect both battery terminals. Remove battery bracket which holds battery in place (this runs across the top of the battery and bolts into the sheet metal along the front of the engine area). Remove battery from engine comartment. Remove rectangle casing surrounding the battery.

Once the air filter box and battery have been completely removed, you will see the starter just to the left of where the air filter box and battery were. The starter is apprximately level with the base support of the battery. The starter has 2 bolts to be removed along with the contact terminal and sensor. Remove the two bracket bolts which bolt into engine (should be 14 mm I think) which are locate on each side of the starter (look at the replacement to locate exact position). Next remove the contact terminal (should be 10mm) connected to starter. Next remove sensor clip (this is done by squeezing the end and pulling off). \

Once starter is removed:

Bolt contect connection onto new starter (should be 10mm). Re-insert sensor clip to new starter by pushing it in until you hear it click or until it is securely in. Next, line up starter bolt holes with bolt holes on engine block and start threading BOTH bolts before tightening one down. Snug bolts securely. NOW YOU HAVE REPLACED THE STARTER!!!!

Replace Battery and terminal connections (red to + and black to -) and battery bracket.

Replace air filter box and reconnect all connections taken loose. Bolt 3 bolts at base of filter box back to original position. NOTE: when replacing filter box, make sure the opening on the right hand side of box (large open hole) lines up with air intake opening from right side of engine compartment. Connect hose back to throttle body by tightening clamp. Replace sensor connections and vacuum line to air filter box. Replace air filet if needed in filter box. Clamp air filter down.

START IT UP!!!!!!

• 3 months later...

I was just wondering what the end result of this problem was for osetleo.

I am having the same issue. Once the car sits for awhile (overnight) the car does not start on the first attempt. When turning the key the lights, fans, radio are on with seemingly no hint of weakness. Typically I turn the key all the back (left) and re-attempt and it typically starts right up and runs normally. The clock has been resetting to 1 AM.

When I searched the forum the clock reset consistently gets the same response of changing the battery by the responders. The battery is about 2 1/2 years old but was purchased at Wal-Mart (I have no idea of the quality of their batteries).

Am I dealing with a battery problem or a starter problem?

Obviously I'd much rather just drop a new battery in there than replace the starter. The car is a 99 RX 300.

Thanks for your advice.

Curt