To Do Or Not To Do....

EAGLE33

Ok Folks,

Here is dilema.... :chairshot:

My 96 needs some work done (as you may read from my previous topic). Then again its all matter of opinion, and thats where I need everyones input.

Here is the list again:

1) EGR pipe

2) Timing belt kit (including all + water pump)

3) Front brakes

4) Spark plugs and ignition wires

5) Motor mounts (all)

6) ECU replace

Out of all above, EGR and noisy brakes are real issues, that I have to deal with asap. But the rest rises questions. Because I live in beautiful state of California, the best price I found to do all above (labor only - I have all the parts) is $1.8k...Now if I only do EGR and brakes - $600.

Car has 95k on a clock and drives like a dream. Now the questions:

1) Does timing belt service really needs to be done now?

2) Does spark plugs need to be changed?

3) Does motor mounts need to be changed?

My very good friend have 97 LS, and he did timing belt at 140k, saying that it was in good shape when he changed. He claims that unless I put constant pressure on a engine (like revving above normal RPM range), I shouldn't think about Timing belt before 120k.....his opinion.

I checked and spark plugs look fine to me, and I can change them myself anyway. So is motor mounts and ECU.

Now EGR pipe...it makes noise that transforms my "silent rocket" into a 73 Ford...but what does it really do? Does it makes my car perform less, accelerate longer, less gas milege? Or is all in my mind because of the noise?

So the main question remains....Timing belt service....when and why. :wacko:

Ok Folks,

Here is dilema....:chairshot:

My 96 needs some work done (as you may read from my previous topic). Then again its all matter of opinion, and thats where I need everyones input.

Here is the list again:

1) EGR pipe

2) Timing belt kit (including all + water pump)

3) Front brakes

4) Spark plugs and ignition wires

5) Motor mounts (all)

6) ECU replace

Out of all above, EGR and noisy brakes are real issues, that I have to deal with asap. But the rest rises questions. Because I live in beautiful state of California, the best price I found to do all above (labor only - I have all the parts) is $1.8k...Now if I only do EGR and brakes - $600.

Car has 95k on a clock and drives like a dream. Now the questions:

1) Does timing belt service really needs to be done now?

2) Does spark plugs need to be changed?

3) Does motor mounts need to be changed?

My very good friend have 97 LS, and he did timing belt at 140k, saying that it was in good shape when he changed. He claims that unless I put constant pressure on a engine (like revving above normal RPM range), I shouldn't think about Timing belt before 120k.....his opinion.

I checked and spark plugs look fine to me, and I can change them myself anyway. So is motor mounts and ECU.

Now EGR pipe...it makes noise that transforms my "silent rocket" into a 73 Ford...but what does it really do? Does it makes my car perform less, accelerate longer, less gas milege? Or is all in my mind because of the noise?

So the main question remains....Timing belt service....when and why.:wacko:

1. The egr pipe end at the exhaust can be bent over and sealed and no one will know the difference.

2. When the timing belt on my '92 was changed out at ~153,000 miles it looked as if it could go another 100,000, no cracks, checking, etc.

3. DIY front brake job, pad replacement, is really simple, otherwise ~$150.

4. With the advent of solid state ignition spark plugs are no longer a "wear" item and certainly not the wires.

5, 6. Someone's kidding you (Drives like a dream..).

The problem with bending and leaving off EGR pipe would be passing california emission....I don't know if its a good idea. As far as the car driving....I drove a lot of cars in my life, and LS is far the best I ever drove...second I would put Land Cruser (90's), which has same engine anyway. But again its a matter of opinion and expectations.

So the main question remains....Timing belt service....when and why. :wacko:

The '96 has the interferance engine, which means if you're belt goes so does your engine. You may get many more miles out of that belt or....... :whistles:

My 96 had 112k when I bought it and had never had the TB/WP replaced, I had it changed the next day. I also had them change my plugs, wires, caps, rotors, pcv, air/fuel/cabin filter, fluids, etc. Can't say I felt any difference at all, but I sure felt a whole lot better.