Check Engine Code

qha_vn

Hi all,

my 1990 LS400 got check engine light on. with key in on position, I connect TE1 and E1 then get the following:

flash 5 times, a short pause, flash 6 times, a long pause then it keeps repeating over and over again the same patern (flash 5 times, a short pause, flash 6 times, a long pause)

i think ECU gives me error code 56 (!?) however, in the service manual, there isnt any error code number 56.

Also, i did try clearing the code by removing EFI fuse for a few minutes and put it back on, then driving the car for several km. re-read the ECU error code, got the same flashing patern described above

any help?

could anyone please advise what can be tried? or where i can get help from

thanks

I'd suggest just taking it to Autozone, Checker or whatever dicount parts store is in your area and having them check the code with their handheld. At least you will know the accurate code and can search around here for options.

thanks Baja, got an advise eventually :-)

just an update of self-thinking: i read over and over the error code reading procedure, flashing pattern... maybe ECU stores 2 error codes with a 1.5 seconds pause in between which i may not recognize at first reads. btw, a long pause of 4.5 seconds will present to indicate the flashing cycle repeats. this may be where i missed the short pause of 1.5 secs between errors.

Now, refering to diagnostic code chart, there are several codes meet the parttens (5 and 6 flashes with 1.5 sec pause in between) here are the possibilities:

- code 14 and 15: both refer to Ignition signal circuit

- code 41 and 24 or 51: 41=Throttle position sensor; 24=Intake air temp sensor; 51=switch condition signal circuit

based on these, i can narrow down the issue area

of course, bring it to dealership isnt a problem, but understanding the car is what i am looking for.

also, i am thinking of making a video clip of the flashing pattern and post it here. that may help

• 2 months later...

Does the car run properly? Is it consuming more or the same amount of gas as it has in the past? What and when was the last service performed on the car?

If you go here:

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/engine/timingbelt.html

The picture above step 10 shows the location of the two sensors. I believe, but I could be wrong. I don't have the repair manual until this weekend. Check to make sure those two sensors are plugged in tightly as well as any other wires that you can see in the engine bay.

Do you have the ability and tools required to remove the oxygen sensors and test them?

thanks zlilz for your help

check engine light had already been on when i bought the car 6 months ago, somebody covered the lamp with back adhesive tape. so i cant see any difference before and after the engine light on

yes, i do have ability, tools to test the oxy sensor (i guess a digital multi meter and some simple wrenches)

by the way, is the ECU trying to say code 5 and 6? have you had the chance to download and watch the movie?

thanks a lot

hm. code 5 and 6 I looked up online from generic toyota odb1 codes. I checked the repair manual and there is no code 5,6, or 56. can you take another longer video? maybe like a minute long?

longer video might not help but increasing file size thus reducing chance for people to download and watch it, it is the whole cycle actually. it just repeats the same flashing patern

I found a tech guy here http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/codes/ saying that there are both 1 and 2-digit diagnostic code in Toyota OBD 1 system where code 5 and 6 equal 12 (RPM signal) and 21 (Oxygen sensor)

• 2 years later...
longer video might not help but increasing file size thus reducing chance for people to download and watch it, it is the whole cycle actually. it just repeats the same flashing patern

I found a tech guy here http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/codes/ saying that there are both 1 and 2-digit diagnostic code in Toyota OBD 1 system where code 5 and 6 equal 12 (RPM signal) and 21 (Oxygen sensor)

I hate to bump this old thread, but I would love to hear if you ever got this resolved.